Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Issue on My New Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I just picked up my new white model 3 last week, and I love it! However, I noticed a small dent on the rear passenger side. Tesla said they will fix it, so I took the delivery.

Today I got a message from tesla:

"Your model 3 is ready for pick up. We did have the paint chip repaired, let me know what you think when picking up the vehicle. If you like the paint chip completely gone, vehicle will need to go to a body shop. Body shop repairs can take a week or two for completion. Paint chip was buff and polished, Touch up paint has been applied. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to text back or give us a call."

What do you guys think? Should I ask them to repaint? Thank you.

Avoid body shops and service center disassembly whenever possible. If its a major thing, maybe go for it. If you can't see it from a few feet away, let it go. You'd likely be worse off having it repainted.

They'll spray adjacent panels to blend their paint match, at minimum. At worst, they'll damage parts or overspray.

Reactions: Stirfelt
I'll let you know Wednesday when I finally get my new P3D- back from correcting issues found at delivery.

They should have:
re-aligned my frunk (it was a bit crooked)
re-aligned the trunk (it was spaced more to one side than the other)
fixed the front passenger door so it would close without slamming it
fixed the front passenger door handle so it would sit flush
repainted the inside of the door area next to the seat to remove a 2" scratch that is down to bare metal.
fixed a dent in front passenger side door where something appears to have been slammed in it
fix a paint chips on both passenger side doors where something had been slammed in the door
fix a paint chip, maybe a rock chip on the front bumper.
trimmed rubber weather seal that was sticking upward out of the roof. (to properly fix required new windshield but trimming will be good enough for me)
Fixed a couple paint nibs and fish eyes (why not, it's already going to be at the body shop for a few weeks)

All somewhat minor things, but not what you expect to have to deal with on a $75,000 car purchase.

Honestly I would go look at the repair and decide when you see it. Also see if you can get more info on the body shop they will use. I heard the one they use here is great and only work on higher end cars Mercedes, Porch, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. Proof is in the pudding though. Hopefully it ends up better than the first P3D- they tried to sell me with even more paint chips and dents.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: super20g
I'll let you know Wednesday when I finally get my new P3D- back from correcting issues found at delivery.

They should have:
re-aligned my frunk (it was a bit crooked)
re-aligned the trunk (it was spaced more to one side than the other)
fixed the front passenger door so it would close without slamming it
fixed the front passenger door handle so it would sit flush
repainted the inside of the door area next to the seat to remove a 2" scratch that is down to bare metal.
fixed a dent in front passenger side door where something appears to have been slammed in it
fix a paint chips on both passenger side doors where something had been slammed in the door
fix a paint chip, maybe a rock chip on the front bumper.
trimmed rubber weather seal that was sticking upward out of the roof. (to properly fix required new windshield but trimming will be good enough for me)
Fixed a couple paint nibs and fish eyes (why not, it's already going to be at the body shop for a few weeks)

All somewhat minor things, but not what you expect to have to deal with on a $75,000 car purchase.

Honestly I would go look at the repair and decide when you see it. Also see if you can get more info on the body shop they will use. I heard the one they use here is great and only work on higher end cars Mercedes, Porch, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. Proof is in the pudding though. Hopefully it ends up better than the first P3D- they tried to sell me with even more paint chips and dents.

My P3D- had similar issues and went to the body shop that only works on higher end cars. Guess what, car is going back to that body shop for the 4th time because not everything has been fixed as of yet and every time it comes back they add a bunch of new defects on the car. Its funny (annoying) that the service manager said my misaligned frunk is within spec when dropped my car off again this week. I asked him to open it and try to close it and then tell me. He tried 4 times with good force and was able to finally close it in 5th attempt and then said, yes we definitely need to fix the frunk........

• Informative
I'm confused. You said there was a dent on your car and that Tesla fixed a paint chip. If there is actually a dent, I would absolutely get that fixed (or not accept delivery in the first place). If it was a paint chip, depending on the severity of the chip and if there are other defects on the same panel, I would consider having a body shop address it. I agree that workmanship from body shops can vary so you have to do some research if you go this route. If done well, touch ups can be ok, especially if you're going to apply paint protection film on top. Have a look at the work Tesla did and go from there.

Working only on high end cars doesn't really mean too much in the end.

For me, it doesn't make sense to send a car to a body shop for a respray for paint chips when it'll probably be covered in them in a few months of daily driving.

Of course it depends on the chip, so I think others advice to go see it in person sounds smart!

Working only on high end cars doesn't really mean too much in the end.
True. The high end body shop they subbed my car out to damaged the inside lip of all 4 rims, damaged the front bumper, damaged every piece of glass on the car, had to have the paint work re-done a 2nd time because it was worse than before, left the air intake full of sanding dust, damaged the frunk plastic, still the paint work is sub-par, etc.

My P3D- had similar issues and went to the body shop that only works on higher end cars. Guess what, car is going back to that body shop for the 4th time because not everything has been fixed as of yet and every time it comes back they add a bunch of new defects on the car. Its funny (annoying) that the service manager said my misaligned frunk is within spec when dropped my car off again this week. I asked him to open it and try to close it and then tell me. He tried 4 times with good force and was able to finally close it in 5th attempt and then said, yes we definitely need to fix the frunk........
well if I have to send it back again, it might qualify as a lemon and I can have tesla buy it back from me. So they had better get it right I think :)

True. The high end body shop they subbed my car out to damaged the inside lip of all 4 rims, damaged the front bumper, damaged every piece of glass on the car, had to have the paint work re-done a 2nd time because it was worse than before, left the air intake full of sanding dust, damaged the frunk plastic, still the paint work is sub-par, etc.

100%! The only cars that belong in a body shop are wrecked cars. Any other situation is playing with fire.

I, like everyone else ..... wants a "perfect" car. The fact that we paid an enormous price to obtain a copy, makes the situation worse.

But I can assure you .... your "perfect" car will remain "perfect" for only so long:
Sooner or later someone will open a door onto the side in a parking lot; or hit by debris falling from a trailer in front of you; or hit by a rock from a dump truck; or a grocery cart will eventually roll into the side and on and on.

An earlier writer said (in so many words) decide on what you can live with, then enjoy the vehicle.
The only way it will remain "perfect" is to park it and never drive it, or put it on display in a museum. And even then, some child with sticky hands will touch it and leave smudges that collect dust.

That said, however, I am not so forgiving about misaligned body parts, squeaks, rattles, and doors that must be slammed to shut.