Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Issues at Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of Model Y yesterday. There were a few paint and fit and trim issues, most notably a nick on edge of bumper that showed base black plastic material and a dust nib or dimple at the edge of the passenger door. The delivery team touched up the nick but the nib/dimple on the handle edge is really bugging us as its so prominent. Every time you walk up to the vehicle to open it, its staring right at you. D Rep told us that if they try and fix it might end up looking worse. See picture. I was thinking to ask them to carefully sand it down (only the nib itself) and put a small dab of touch up paint...my thinking: might still notice but not as bad as it is now. Another friend who took delivery the day before (no issues with his) suggested requesting a replacement door. Anyone know of Telsa replacing panels/doors in this sort of situation? Any suggestions or past experiences anyone has heard of?

Attachments

• IMG_7549.jpg
    IMG_7549.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 242
Congrats on your new car.

I found orange peel paint effects on my rear panel above the tire. The service consultant told me the bodyshop will sand down the area and repaint the panel. He didn't offer to have a replacement panel send from the factory. And, he said Tesla can't guarantee the paint will match the original. So, I didn't ask them to fix that. But for you, it's right at the door handle and more visible. Tough call...

I took delivery of Model Y yesterday. There were a few paint and fit and trim issues, most notably a nick on edge of bumper that showed base black plastic material and a dust nib or dimple at the edge of the passenger door. The delivery team touched up the nick but the nib/dimple on the handle edge is really bugging us as its so prominent. Every time you walk up to the vehicle to open it, its staring right at you. D Rep told us that if they try and fix it might end up looking worse. See picture. I was thinking to ask them to carefully sand it down (only the nib itself) and put a small dab of touch up paint...my thinking: might still notice but not as bad as it is now. Another friend who took delivery the day before (no issues with his) suggested requesting a replacement door. Anyone know of Telsa replacing panels/doors in this sort of situation? Any suggestions or past experiences anyone has heard of?
Which delivery center?

I can't see them replacing that door, unfortunately. We've seen dozens of these instances - not necessarily on the Y but the same situation with the other models. In this case, we would remove the handle, replace the belt molding, and repair then refinish the door. We'd also have to remove the door glass in order to remove the handle. If you did get a new door, that would then require blending into the adjacent panels to ensure that the paint is consistent and matches. This is a simple fix. The service centers should authorize a TAB shop to take care of it for you.

I can't see them replacing that door, unfortunately. We've seen dozens of these instances - not necessarily on the Y but the same situation with the other models. In this case, we would remove the handle, replace the belt molding, and repair then refinish the door. We'd also have to remove the door glass in order to remove the handle. If you did get a new door, that would then require blending into the adjacent panels to ensure that the paint is consistent and matches. This is a simple fix. The service centers should authorize a TAB shop to take care of it for you.
Is there a way to fix without repainting a large area? I am thinking an emery board of sorts to precision file with appropriate grit down to surrounding surface level then a tiny bit of touch up paint...a "micro" repair, not a big repair.

Of course they will say that it might get worse because they don't specialize in fixing them and they want you to take the delivery as is. Request it to be documented on due bill and sent to body shop for repairs that will fix it properly so it will like it never happened.

Reactions: Reeler
Is there a way to fix without repainting a large area? I am thinking an emery board of sorts to precision file with appropriate grit down to surrounding surface level then a tiny bit of touch up paint...a "micro" repair, not a big repair.

I think you're referring to a spot job (but I could be wrong). A lot of shops will do this because it's cheaper, easier, and faster. This is a very basic explanation but essentially the shop would take off the clear in the damaged portion then touch it up with base paint and just reclear over that section. This typically doesn't last very long and certainly will show over the life of the car. We've seen spot jobs showing degradation within a few years at best. To do it properly, you would strip the clear off the entire panel, repair, paint, then reclear the entire panel. At times, if the damaged portion is closer to another body panel on the vehicle you would have to blend into the adjacent panel to ensure that the paint all looks consistent. But, in this case, this is pretty minor and a proper refinish of the offending panel would fix the issue.