Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The first 13 (?) posts in this thread were moved from the "Sudden Loss of Range" thread in the Model S forum.

Tesla doesn't just have burning cars to contend with, now their residential solar installations are starting to go up in flames:

Tesla solar panels have become a nightmare for some homeowners, especially for 1 Colorado woman whose roof went up in flames

The chickens are coming home to roost on Elon's misdirection, miscommunication, and ultimately, fraud. At one time I could not envision myself owning any other vehicle other than Tesla. In 2013 he violated California law in the way he advertised pricing and was ordered to change the web site. Then Elon lied about P85D performance, for which Tesla was sued in Norway and was forced to offer a cash settlement to owners. He lied about Autopilot by advertising features which were never shipped, yet refunded nothing for the undelivered promises. Almost every time owners found a reason to let him off the hook, including myself.

Today we have a whole new army of "Tesla can do no wrong" followers in Model 3 owners. They are currently in their honeymoon phase with the brand, which, I'm pretty sure will fade. I already have Model 3 owners posting in my local group saying they've lost over 10% of displayed range in less than a year. Almost none have seen Tesla's advertised range displayed at 100% charge. They are being told by service that this is all "normal".

My particular evolution on the Tesla brand makes me very sad. I'm happy that my husband and I did not purchase a Model 3 when we had the chance. It's looking more and more like my next EV is going to be a Mercedes, Jaguar or VW/Audi. I would happily give up access to the Supercharger network, which I rarely use, in order to have a better customer and service experience.

Dear Tesla: If you don't come clean on this issue and make things right for owners, I will never, ever, buy another Tesla. I will recommend to everyone I know and influence (1,700+ current and potential customers) that they steer clear of your brand and products.

I think you should read my post........ honeymoon is over and long gone in 4 weeks.

---->

Model 3 paint wearing off

upload_2019-10-15_21-31-56.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That's just plain lazy prep work. Someone is not properly cleaning before / after the primer coat! Paint does not peel normally if the surfaces are prepped right. Just wow. How low can we go!
The main problem is no mud guards so if you drive on roads with sand or gravel you get that. Cheap aftermarket mud guards prevent the issue but Tesla isn't doing anything for people suffering from the issue.

The main problem is no mud guards so if you drive on roads with sand or gravel you get that. Cheap aftermarket mud guards prevent the issue but Tesla isn't doing anything for people suffering from the issue.

Mud Guards? Seriously? What would that do to the drag coefficient of the car?

A $50K+ car in 2019 requires Mud Guards so the paint won't fall off? Again, that's embarrassing for the brand if you are asking me.

Mud Guards? Seriously? What would that do to the drag coefficient of the car?

A $50K+ car in 2019 requires Mud Guards so the paint won't fall off? Again, that's embarrassing for the brand if you are asking me.

The ones I've seen are pretty small and people say 1-2% hit but I have no experience with them myself as there's no sand and gravel locally here. I'm just reporting what people have to do to prevent their cars from being ruined.