TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Paint issues

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Jonslatt, May 8, 2020.

?

I also have paint issues

Poll closed May 15, 2020.
  1. Yes

61.9%
  2. No

38.1%
  1. Jonslatt

Jonslatt Member

I know this has been mentioned before but just trying to get a census from others before approaching Tesla.

Have just been out diligently cleaning my M3P when I noticed some flecks down in front of the rear wheel arches. I thought at first it was dirt but scrubbed and used a mild rubbing compound and in fact there are tens of small stone chips. It really is quite bad. Have check our other two ICE vehicles (a Jeep and a Ford) and neither have anything approaching this. I also have numerous small stone chips on my bonnet.

I know Tesla had soft paint issues in the past but thought these had been fixed? Doesn’t look like it to me. Only 7 months in. I’ll have no paint left at the end of three years. Being a lease car I am concerned I will get penalised.

I am going to put in a service request but wondered if others are experiencing the same degree of paint degredation?

Kind regards

Jon 2E10D086-BE47-41D9-8373-B0C6861328D4.jpeg DDD89AB2-9A4C-48B4-9C33-E22AABB1A841.jpeg

2. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Alas, I suspect you will get a few yes responses.

I'm hoping that I don't, although yours does look a bit high, but I got 'lower rocker' ppf protection because of this thread - Model 3 paint wearing off tl;dr- in some regions, Tesla is offering mud flaps to help with this problem.

• Like x 1
  3. Medved_77

Medved_77 TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD

Voted no but I have added Paint Protection Film to the front of the car, A pillars, Sills, bottom sections of the doors and the rear bumper.

Also added mud flaps for good measure.

I own the car and plan on keeping it for a while, appreciate it's not worth the investment if leasing.

4. Durzel

Durzel Active Member

I haven’t voted, but done the same as @Medved_77 . PPF around all of those areas. I assumed it would get peppered otherwise.

I doubt there is much you can do really, Tesla won’t repaint them. You could get the areas resprayed and then PPF applied, but that’s about it.

5. Jonslatt

Jonslatt Member

Thanks to those who have responded so far.

I have already resigned myself to the fact that Tesla will do nothing about it. Same as they did nothing about my rear motor tray falling off.

I have sent pictures in to my lease company and warned them about the undue early damage and await their response. They own the car after all.

I do love the car but if I ever take the plunge and buy a Y I am going for a full PPF wrap followed by bubble wrap!

6. Cyborg68

Cyborg68 Member

Have to say that mine looks similar (nearside), I used Tcut coloured polish (my M3 is black) and that seems to have rectified it for now, I've also had a large portion if paint flake off the sill in the same area (around 1.5cm) for the time being, I've 'repaired' it with chipex paint, I'll have to wait and see whether or not it's protected but will likely have to do what you've done and take photo evidence for my lease company.

I'm also thinking of getting the whole car ceramic coated and have ppf applied to the most vulnerable areas

7. Mr H

Mr H Active Member

I've found a couple of what look like chips under the clearcoat and a run at the bottom of the sill which is hard to see unless kneeling down

8. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

Reality is they are unlikely to be doing any paint jobs to cover that and will say that its not their fault, it would then depend on how far you want to take it with them, but obviously this sort of damage on a car less than 12 months old being used for how it was intended is most definitely a case for the sales of goods act.

If it was me I would be contact them by scheduling a service and using their contact form, if the resolution is not satisfactory then I would be looking for legal advice.

9. Rustybkts

Rustybkts Member

I put mud flaps on my red SR+ as soon as I got it home. My old 1998 Elise has protective vinyl in the same spot behind the wheels to protect the body and is well worn. Power and a certain shaped wing flare will catch the grit flung back.

10. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Looks like Tesla may (not sure if the featured car is truly stock) have learned some lessons on the Model Y - not to remove the plastic wheel and sill protectors that they used on (some?) earlier models and is very common on other makes of car.

May not sort all issues, but will be a big improvement.

11. Durzel

Durzel Active Member

Seems the answer is someone making those I guess. Maybe the MY21 Model 3 will have them.

In the meantime I’ve just made sure the problem areas are PPF’d. Mudflaps look really crap in my opinion.

• Like x 1