Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Mismatch Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back off! Pearl white is a very special color. My last mineral white BMW had mismatching paint!!!!!
.... Now that I remember it. I had an accident, so the front had to be painted. Even then, it looked 100 times better than the Model Y I rejected last week.

View attachment 557235 View attachment 557236
More forgiving when the plastic bumpers are slightly different than the metal parts but there is no excuse for the doors to be different shades.

Just easy question: what are the conditions on Model 3, Model S, and Model X with white color?

If they do not have obvious mismatch issue, why Y???

I don't think it is just the Y, I've seen it on the the S, X and 3 as well. Just did a google on Pearl White Tesla Model 3 and quite a few of them if you are looking for it it looks like the doors are a bit off color. You can really notice how the different angels affect it in some of the walk around videos.

Again not saying they are perfect and some are definitely worse than others and aren't acceptable IMO, but that color in general plays tricks on the eyes sometimes depending on the angles, the sun etc. It reminds me of some of those color tricks where they ask you which color is darker etc., but they are all really the same. I think the prominence of the gap in between the panels, and even the black door handles and the reflection off them makes a difference. That is one reason the post above when they cover the gap between the front and back door the contrast goes away.

Anyway, I would have got the light Silver Metallic like I have on my 3 if they still offered it! :)

I just had a mobile service and asked the guy about the the paint mismatch. He said it’s within spec. I have another service scheduled at a SC. I will ask them again to see what they say. I still like the car so much even with this paint mismatch.
“Within spec” is Tesla-speak for “F-you, we have your money and your return window has closed”

looks like the front is still a shade darker than the rear door. have other pics? still, doesnt seem as bad as others

Here's two more.
85F1B440-1C2A-40C2-9683-BBA04B0D6A70.jpeg
F358B91B-5774-4584-97B8-3CEDD43BFFB2.jpeg

This was ours we rejected yesterday. When the clouds came, it was 10x more noticeable. It was an inventory car $500 discount with 5 miles so I suspect someone else rejected prior.

Attachments

• A0B0C71B-A0AC-400C-9147-A184519C12C9.jpeg
    A0B0C71B-A0AC-400C-9147-A184519C12C9.jpeg
    495.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 46823FCA-4220-458D-A026-9F184D64CF33.jpeg
    46823FCA-4220-458D-A026-9F184D64CF33.jpeg
    817 KB · Views: 143
Took Delivery on Friday, inspection was done inside. Now that I have looked at the the paint in the daylight it appears that the doors and rear 1/4 quarter panel do not match. Am I seeing things that aren’t really there. Thanks for your opinions

View attachment 554745
Took Delivery on Friday, inspection was done inside. Now that I have looked at the the paint in the daylight it appears that the doors and rear 1/4 quarter panel do not match. Am I seeing things that aren’t really there. Thanks for your opinions

View attachment 554745
i am having the same issue with the paint not matching on BOTH of the front doors of my 2020 Model Y AWD FSD that I took delivery of a week ago. It looks to me like the front doors did not get enough coats of paint, and it’s kind of splotchy looking. Similar to If you had a red wall and are painting it white and only put one coat of paint on it versus two coats of paint. I have alerted my service deartment and they said they are waiting to hear what the resolution is.
6EEFD532-4E2A-4621-B138-89A7ADE97A12.jpeg
718F8B22-2D5A-436A-B847-01BC14EDE534.jpeg
At a supercharger, another tesla owner asked me if I had been in an accident because the paint was mismatched!

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1
i am having the same issue with the paint not matching on BOTH of the front doors of my 2020 Model Y AWD FSD that I took delivery of a week ago. It looks to me like the front doors did not get enough coats of paint, and it’s kind of splotchy looking. Similar to If you had a red wall and are painting it white and only put one coat of paint on it versus two coats of paint. I have alerted my service deartment and they said they are waiting to hear what the resolution is.
View attachment 560389 View attachment 560390 View attachment 560390 View attachment 560390 At a supercharger, another tesla owner asked me if I had been in an accident because the paint was mismatched!

I saw so many Youtubers posted Videos on their deliveries of White MY with the same color mismatch issue, but nobody bother to mention it except just focusing on fit & finish issues which are minor for me comparing with the color mismatch.

Reactions: Ba2yev
View attachment 560389 View attachment 560390 View attachment 560390 View attachment 560390 At a supercharger, another tesla owner asked me if I had been in an accident because the paint was mismatched!

Have you talked to service center about it? Can you still return it?

Have you talked to service center about it? Can you still return it?
I have been talking and emailing them photos and while they are being Very professional and courteous, they have to check in with people above them as to what the solution is and that seems to be taking some time... I even took it to the Marietta, GA location which is the TESLA body shop, and they noticed the paint variation and said they’ll have to look into what the fix is.