Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint missing behind the frunk rubber adjusters - rust risk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Picked up my new Model 3 a couple of weeks ago, here in Sydney.

I've had some issues with a slightly wonky frunk lid, which I've largely addressed by adjusting the adjustable rubber feet at the front of the lid (thanks to some advice from the kind folks on this forum! Seems the Misaligned Frunk Society is quite a large club).

While adjusting the right hand frunk adjuster, I've noticed that the paint seems to have been inadquately applied behind it. It almost looks like the rubber adjuster was placed on the frunk lid before the paint had cured. (Although there's no paint on the rubber itself, so perhaps not).

Here's what we're looking at (and a photo of the location, for context). The bottom part of the aperture doesn't have paint.

Front trunk rubber stopper hole.jpg
Frunk adjuster location.jpg

It does look like the weird beige coloured undercoat is still intact under there.

My question is two-fold... first, has anyone else got the same issue under their rubber adjusters? (Perhaps this is normal?) If this is just the way this area is typically finished, then I'm not worried.

And second, does this pose a risk of rust developing over time? I notice that a lot of water gets into this area when it rains, or when washing the car, so I'm wondering if it could build up behind the rubber adjuster and cause rust? (Or on the other hand, is the beige-brown undercoat sufficent to prevent this, and the problem is just cosmetic... in which case, no issue as it's on the inside of the car.)

And third (looks like my question is three-fold)... if I want to get it fixed, should I just go to a panel shop and get them to spray that section? Or is it better to get touch-up paint and hand paint it?

Thanks guys. Trivial one, I know... but having familiarised myself with this forum, it seems there are plenty of Tesla owners out there who are as fussy as I am!

Cheers!
Mike