TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Paint: Multi-coat Red

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by HFh, Nov 17, 2012.

1. HFh

HFh Member

So I finalized my order last week, happy with my black-on-black-with-CF and silver wheels choice, but the very next day, my colleague tells me that he called Tesla and they told him that the 2013 red (he said the rep didn't call it sunset red but something else like fire red) was on track for March or April. My current car is set for February or March, so I could probably live with another month.

So, any of you have any additional word on the 2013 red? Any pictures? My colleague sent me one but the lighting was odd. I'd like to spend the weekend second guessing myself and trying to decide on whether I should switch to red-on-black-with-CF and maybe grey wheels (but probably still silver). Can any of you help me with my obsession? I'd appreciate it.

2. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I haven't heard any dates, but I thought it was quite conspicuous that the Motor Trend shots of Elon were in a Sunset/2013 Red Model S.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Yah, that cought my eye also.

4. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

At the Toronto store opening George told us he thought the red would be available around March.

5. inkynote

inkynote P1574

6. Steph_S

Steph_S CAN #312 VIN P06173

You can see the Red amongst all colours, during a photoshoot that Tesla did earlier this year.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

There was a 2013 Red with black cloth interior at the Newport Beach store when I was there a month or so ago...

8. Xfrank

Xfrank Well-Known Member

IMG_1449.JPG models rood1.jpg IMG_1448.JPG
    I want the red also!

9. HFh

HFh Member

Thanks for the pointer. I've seen those pictures before but without the red. Interesting to see red next to signature red. I think you've captured it with "exuberant". Hm. I'm not sure I'm that exuberant a kind of guy. Signature would be more my shade of red if I went that way, I think.

I'll also say that I was a little surprised at how it looks with the pano. Looks a little... off. Am I the only one who thinks that looks strange?

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Red w/pano looks fine -- my Audi A3 has nearly the same color and also has a glass + black top. Looks great on the Audi. Even though I like the color scheme on a small car like the A3, I find it a little overwhelming on the much larger Model S.

11. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

That's not the pano roof btw. The only 2013 Red car built so far has the solid Black roof.

12. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

available to order in March, first deliveries in July if the 3-4 month delay stays?

13. HFh

HFh Member

Huh. So it is.

14. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Drove the Sunset Red non-performance at the NJ Get Amped event. It had a black roof but no pano. The color could use a little tweaking (and, yes, was very similar to the Audi red which I have on an A4). I've deferred my order until the red is available but haven't heard anything different than what others are saying on this thread (at least directly from Tesla). While I typically like blue or green, they just looked too black to me unless in bright sunlight ... and even then it was too subtle. Here it is in a "real-life" situation with shadows and reflections.

NJ Model S.jpg

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

There is a Sunset Red with black roof at the new Miami store.

IMG_2555[1].JPG IMG_2556[1].JPG

cell phone pix

16. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

17. HFh

HFh Member

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that. What I got most from those videos is that I kind of like the rear-facing seats....

18. Frankc

Frankc Member

I was at the Tesla Fashion Island store a couple of months back and they have the 'new' red in the showroom. Took lots of pics but don't have them with me right now. My reservation is in the P46xx sequence, but currently planning on holding off until the red is available. My customer service rep thinks that Tesla may open the system up for 'red' reservations in early 2013, although shipments would not be before 'spring'. Hard to wait that long just to get the color I want, but it will be that color every time I see the car for the next several years, and 6 months after I get the car I won't remember how long I waited...

19. miamimd

miamimd Member

(P: 14291) Finalized
    Model S performance , 85 kWh, multi-coat red, Gray 21", pano, tech, studio sound, air, black Napa leather/alcantara with red piping,, Carbon fiber, rear spoiler, twin charger, Paint armor, HPWC. estimated delivery April-May 2013.
    is this correct? it seems there are a lot of multi coat red ordered before me.
    Any ideas what's a realistic delivery window?