Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint: Multi-coat Red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we all agree that Sunset red = multi-red = red. My question however is- has this red changed color? The sales lady said that the red used to have more orange in it and now it's a much darker red. The sample on the wall looked very dark. Are the pictures I have seen in this thread the new darker red or the older more orangey red?

When I was at the Newport Beach store last September, they had a red Model S in the store with black cloth interior (their test drive car was Blue/Tan). That red was "brighter" than the Signature Red, and looked okay, but not nearly as good as the Sig red to me.

Has that particular red changed?

I think we all agree that Sunset red = multi-red = red. My question however is- has this red changed color? The sales lady said that the red used to have more orange in it and now it's a much darker red. The sample on the wall looked very dark. Are the pictures I have seen in this thread the new darker red or the older more orangey red?

This is the same thing I have been told by several different Tesla people, (less orange, deaper color...like the new samples), but others have been told the color is not changing from the Sunset Red we saw in August at Palo Alto. I guess the only way to know for sure is to wait a few weeks and see what actually comes off the PRODUCTION line.

I think it's been confirmed by Blankenship and others that the 2013 Red is the color we've seen at the Get Amped tour over the summer, and it IS the same color as the samples that made it out to the stores. The color looks quite different inside vs. full sun. I don't think anyone of us will be dissappointed.

This is what Elon said earlier this week at the Q4 2012 Earnings Q & A:
"Well we do see some deferrals taking place because we have a new color coming out which is actually a really great color. I have to admit it's a really great color. We spent a lot of time on that red, but I'm not suggesting anyone delay their order but it is an awsome red."
Elon seems to like the color.

Is this Signature Red or the new Multi-coat red?

curtv.jpg

View attachment 17465
Tesla preps to build a string of EVs at NUMMI | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

Again, I'm pretty sure it's this vehicle as I've had the image on my desktop for over a year now... :)

Observe:
- 9 spoke wheels
- head light configuation
- lower (fog?) light configuration
- side T
- side mirrors
- pleated look of the cone (3 sections in the upper half, unlike the Sig single section in the upper half)
I'm glad the front end was redesigned, the prototype looks horrible (in my opinion)
The production model is sleek and just absolutely gorgeous

Comparison
http://i.pgu.me/O9D+xOHj_original.jpg

GORGEOUS!!!

Nope, no one is claiming the Sig Red is the same as the multi-coat red. There WAS discussion about what, exactly, the multi-coat red was going to look like (was it the red from the original Get Amped Tour? Was it the red shown in the Motor Trend CotY photo shoot? Was it the red on the samples at the Tesla Stores?) - but now that debate is over.

Things I kind of prefer on the prototype:
  1. The recessed T on the side of the front fender (vs. the triangle).
  2. The windshield wipers are more hidden when inactive.
  3. The nose cone.
  4. The chrome below the doors is absent.

- - - Updated - - -

Slightly confused.
Am I to understand people are claiming the Signature Red and the Multi-Coat red to be one and the same? I don't believe that's the case.
My (somewhat aged!) post was pointing out that this was not a new vehicle paint job but rather an old one, regarding the picture in this post (click the >> to go to that post to see the picture):
Is this Signature Red or the new Multi-coat red?