Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint on my M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard the stories about the paint quality on the M3, so decided that I was going to get a ceramic coat applied... well I picked it up and took it straight to be coated (after the obligatory drive around!)

When I collected it I thought it looked a little too shiny and looked at all the others in the compound to check it want just mine - all the cars had the same shine. I gave the car a good checking over and noted a couple of scratches and a spot where paint was missing- these were all noted and forwarded to the SC and an appointment booked through the app.

Once the detailer I took my M3 to cleaned all the crap off they used to mask the paint deficiencies....he found it’s a mess! I would urge you all to have a good look and check the state of your own paintwork

I can’t get the video to upload as it’s 6 mins long, but I’ve attached some pics

607BA9A1-85B5-4983-A2A9-7129596A146E.png 12AB0F1F-30B2-4E15-8464-8E3C091D0D29.png FC8DA599-C30E-46C1-9CB9-67A8E9B35660.png A762E30F-DB7D-40D6-9B84-FD3DE6652611.png 90995C90-32C3-49C4-87C9-B642F3937EA1.png 1EF6D927-8C8E-4B4D-BBDA-B787CD2728B7.png A78619E4-DE5D-4E03-B527-DD387CBA99DF.png F0F4483B-FE66-4706-A379-C52774BD0675.png 5968EAEE-0CC7-4CDE-AC0D-547AEDB58F08.png 57206A32-4556-48EB-9429-6E8EC1391D46.png

thank you for reporting this, I wish more owners would do the same as it must be a common issue but hardly anyone posts this in the UK section

looks like someone has missed off the clear coat?

Good choice for getting the ceramic done. I had the gtechniq exo light on my A4 and it removed chances of swirls and really hardened the existing paint and cleaning a breeze.

Is your detailer concerned he can not fully fix with paint correction?

I honestly think this is why they change the standard colour from black to white. I think they knew they were having issues with the black and went with the white as standard.

Black is a nightmare at the best of time, shows up every little imperfection. I have a friend who is an obsessive car detailer/cleaner/washer (he spends a Saturday cleaning one side of the car and a Sunday doing the other!:confused::confused:)

He commonly says that black is the worse colour to paint/detail/correct.

Sorry to hear about the paint - hope it gets sorted.

Reactions: Yev000
Sorry to hear about the paint - hope it gets sorted.

Thanks - it will get sorted. It shouldn’t really have to be this way though!

My detailer has a Model S so is fully aware of the Tesla issues - he’s a magician so will sort it but he’s p*ssed off because it should t be in such condition new out the factory- and it’s a damn sight more work than he signed up for!

thank you for reporting this, I wish more owners would do the same as it must be a common issue but hardly anyone posts this in the UK section

looks like someone has missed off the clear coat?

Good choice for getting the ceramic done. I had the gtechniq exo light on my A4 and it removed chances of swirls and really hardened the existing paint and cleaning a breeze.

We’re a community so it’s good to share and let others know of our joys and misfortunes!

As you say for the relative low cost it’s worth trying to protect now rather than a larger bill down the road!

Threads like this would make me think about getting my car driven onto a transporter at pickup and driven straight to the detailer.

I would get mine detailed anyway when I buy it, but missing paint can't be detailed.

I heard the stories about the paint quality on the M3, so decided that I was going to get a ceramic coat applied... well I picked it up and took it straight to be coated (after the obligatory drive around!)

When I collected it I thought it looked a little too shiny and looked at all the others in the compound to check it want just mine - all the cars had the same shine. I gave the car a good checking over and noted a couple of scratches and a spot where paint was missing- these were all noted and forwarded to the SC and an appointment booked through the app.

Once the detailer I took my M3 to cleaned all the crap off they used to mask the paint deficiencies....he found it’s a mess! I would urge you all to have a good look and check the state of your own paintwork

I can’t get the video to upload as it’s 6 mins long, but I’ve attached some pics

View attachment 445494 View attachment 445495 View attachment 445496 View attachment 445497 View attachment 445498 View attachment 445499 View attachment 445500 View attachment 445501 View attachment 445502 View attachment 445503

That's shocking.
Can you upload it to youtube and post a link?