TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Paint or Vinyl Wrap Seatbacks?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Allante, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Allante

Allante Member

My X is being delivered in a few weeks, and I am torn between whether I should paint or vinyl wrap them. For either option I would use glossy white to match the color of my ultra white interior. From my conversations with vendors, I am told that painting would look the best and last the longest, but would cost double what vinyl would cost.

I know a number of folks here have wrapped their seatbacks in clear film, but I haven't heard of anyone painting or vinyl wrapping them.

Would love to hear pros/cons of both options from everyone.

Thank you.

2. VerityZooms

VerityZooms Member

I've wrapped mine in a dark-translucent wrap that gives them a sort of matte, or semi-satin, finish; but they're still dark-on-white. I can take some mediocre photos if you'd like, although the wrapper forgot to do the rearmost-row's headrests, so it looks a little incomplete / out-of-place. >,>

Re: wrapping vs. painting, always go with wrapping/dipping!

• Maintain the resale value (doubles as a protectant of the original colour/finish),
    • Change up the colour or feel every few years, if you like (especially if you go with a cheaper option),
    • If anything goes wrong, you have a Precise Particular Product you can re-apply to the replacement seats, not a paint colour you have to carefully match

Just my 2¢. (=

3. p85lover/owner

I would suggest you do the wrap, later on you might decide that you no longer want white seat backs.

4. Allante

Allante Member

Thanks all -- great suggestions.