Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint overspray all over my car after service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my X for its first service and unbelievably it seems like they were painting a silver car nearby and got a fine coat of overspray all over my car. Did this ever happen to anyone? I have a near full xpel wrap on my car. What's my recourse? Can it be clayed off?

They need to make you whole. If they can't remove it without damaging the Xpel, then I'd expect them to bear the cost of a new wrap.
How do you get overspray off a wrap without wrecking the plastic? I would say they would have to redo the wrap. First thing I was told was ‘no chemicals ever’ on my full wrap. (Well and no polishing of course lol!)

Took my X for its first service and unbelievably it seems like they were painting a silver car nearby and got a fine coat of overspray all over my car. Did this ever happen to anyone? I have a near full xpel wrap on my car. What's my recourse? Can it be clayed off?
Who was painting? When did Service Centers start performing body work and car painting? They've been farming painting and body work out to local shops. Maybe they didn't do it? But yours was at a body show where painting something else was happening? While Tesla may be responsible to you, someone may be responsible to Tesla.

bonnie? Is Tesla painting and doing body work in Service Centers now?

The story I got from the service center was that they had someone fixing curb rashed wheels outside and as the person was spray painting the wheels, my wife somehow drove through the cloud of spray paint without noticing as she was leaving, lol. Seemed outlandish.

They did detail and clean up the car after we took it back. It seems fine now, but insisting that it was our fault was a bit insulting.

The story I got from the service center was that they had someone fixing curb rashed wheels outside and as the person was spray painting the wheels, my wife somehow drove through the cloud of spray paint without noticing as she was leaving, lol. Seemed outlandish.
Well, that's certainly a possible explanation. But they really shouldn't be painting where someone could drive through it.

The cleaner I mentioned in my previous post to remove paint overspray was a detailing liquid called Granitize Auto Gloss "Spray & Shine". Because this detailer contains organic sulfonic acid (a possibly corrosive cleaner) along with dodecylbenzene (a detergent) and polysiloxane (silicone), I decided not to routinely use it on my car. However, it quickly and effectively removed the paint overspray.

Cars are usually painted in a paint shop, nicely isolated from dust and debris rather than parked next to other cars. Are you sure it's a paint overspray? Even for wheels, I would assume they would paint them not while on the car.

Try the least aggressive removal method first ... clay should work, if not complete with a solvent based cleaner :cool:

That is unfortunate that you got overspray on your vehicle. As an autobody technician I see it happen all the time. With as much caution and preparation that is taken in shops, this is always been an issue. Overspray is a very tricky and time consuming issue to remove on a vehicle. It will be exceptionally hard to remove it off the clear wrap. If you do end up removing and installing new wrap, keep a close eye on the edges. A lot of clear wrap installers use a razor blade and end up cutting into the refinish. I do agree with the general consensus that you should start off mild to more aggressive forms of removal. But nonetheless the shop should be fully responsible for the overspray on your vehicle.

Reactions: FlatSix911