Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint problem or super birds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my car a few weeks ago, there was a quarter sized spot on the hood that didn't shine the same was as the rest. I didn't think too much of it. I just finished washing my car (for the third time), and I now notice there are 4 more spots like this. It seems that bird poop is really mucking with the paint. I have never seen this happen on another car. It was literally one day after the bird marked my car that I washed it. I would expect washing to remove it, and certainly some polish. So is the paint extra sensitive, are the birds super poopers, or is this just normal? It's the dark blue.

When I got my car a few weeks ago, there was a quarter sized spot on the hood that didn't shine the same was as the rest. I didn't think too much of it. I just finished washing my car (for the third time), and I now notice there are 4 more spots like this. It seems that bird poop is really mucking with the paint. I have never seen this happen on another car. It was literally one day after the bird marked my car that I washed it. I would expect washing to remove it, and certainly some polish. So is the paint extra sensitive, are the birds super poopers, or is this just normal? It's the dark blue.

Have you tried to wax it after cleaning it? Bird waste can eat at some waxes.

I have found at least 4 or 5 of these on mine. Actually, it was my XPEL Ultimate installer that pointed them out (he was very meticulous..made sure to point anything out before applying the film). They are manufacturing paint defects. Has nothing to do with "bird poop". I would never have noticed them myself, but they are the size of a half dollar. Fortunately, all the ones on my hood are not visible after the XPEL wrap. Even though the wrap is as clear as day, it seems to "correct" the paint defects to the naked eye. There are more on the rear of my car but you really have to be looking for them to see them. I'm not going to complain or have Tesla fix it. I'm not that kind of guy. Again, you'd never notice unless you were going over every inch of the car LOOKING for problems. I've always said, if you go out looking for a problem, you're probably going to find one. Best not to worry about it unless it's really something major thats wrong.

With several popping up I would agree that it sounds like a detailing problem - an area that was not properly buffed out after a small paint repair was made (all plants have paint defects which are repaired prior to shipment). If it wasn't finished properly then a few washings could remove whatever finishing material was still in the small sanded area, resulting in the dull or hazy spot.

Don't mess with it, inform TESLA, I don't know what it is, I didn't notice it on inspection, it was getting a little dark at the delivery. I did notice it after the second time I washed it, i would swear that it was a contaminated inspectors glove mark , almost like a finger or thumb print ,before they clear coated. I told my wife that when I showed the spots to her, about the size of a quarter and looked like a cloudy spot under the clear coat that Tesla would have to repaint the car as these were under the clear. I really didn't want that to happen, I had about 8 spots and all on one side and the hood. Tesla had their detail guy meet me at the service center and 2 hrs later you would not think it was the same car. I know they buffed and massaged the spots but they are gone and the paint looks perfect.

I have to disagree, I have several small spots where I washed off the bird s... and it left a hazy spot that does not readily polish out. Mine are still visible, but I have not spent extended time trying to remove them.

I just assumed there was no poop on the other spots the OP referred to popping up, guess I should ask to clarify. Or just not make diagnosis without actually seeing the problem :smile:

Its possible that bird poop sat on the car while waiting for the delivery at the service center and that it just got washed off when the detailed it right before I picked it up. At the Philly center all the model S's are parked under trees at the back of the lot before some woods.

Bird dropping are very damaging to paint. They'll erode the clearcoat and damage the paint in no time at all. I've got one mark on my paint as a result of a bird dropping that I didn't wipe off quickly (and I've got a layer of OptiCoat on there), and my wife has a couple on her Audi (bought at the same time as the S), so it's not a Tesla-specific issue. I try to wipe the poop off the same day. Evil stuff.

I have no idea if the first one was due to bird droppings or not, but the new ones certainly are. Fixing them may be fine. But if this happens every time a bird flies over....That's just not something I have seen on a car before.

I'm convinced the birds around here crap out acid. I have not (yet) had this happen to my new Model S, but my previous black Cadillac CTS had several of these etched out marks on the paint even though I cleaned off the droppings asap. (Once I came out from a restaurant and found droppings. Went back in and got some water and napkins to remove, but it had already etched the paint). It was particularly noticeable under certain types of light, like HPS lights in parking garages. Very disheartening, but I don't know what can be done. I always keep my cars waxed, but it didn't seem to help.

I'm convinced the birds around here crap out acid. I have not (yet) had this happen to my new Model S, but my previous black Cadillac CTS had several of these etched out marks on the paint even though I cleaned off the droppings asap. (Once I came out from a restaurant and found droppings. Went back in and got some water and napkins to remove, but it had already etched the paint). It was particularly noticeable under certain types of light, like HPS lights in parking garages. Very disheartening, but I don't know what can be done. I always keep my cars waxed, but it didn't seem to help.

My belief is that only full coverage paint armour gives you a fighting chance.

My belief is that only full coverage paint armour gives you a fighting chance.

I have the pano roof, and the painted area on the rear is quite small, but I wish I'd gotten full hood coverage. I already have two stone chips beyond where the partial covering reaches! (Two of my "bird marks" on the Caddy were on the side of the car,so I take your point on full coverage).

Yes I have the same bird marks on top of my roof. I do not have the pano option. They do buff out and add a cover of wax its good as new. I wish I did the whole car armor coverage now like Liz G did. I have a rock chip right above my right front wheel which is behind the armor coverage.

I am going to do the whole car armor on my wife's Model S. I believe the cost was a little over $3,000.

I once saw the bird drop a large One on our previous car right after i had washed it. Within seconds i rinsed it off, washed with soap and hand mitt, then rinsed and dried it.
A few hours later i saw a haze from the droppings. Had to polish it off with a 3 stage polish.

Car was black. Something about those black cars.

I took delivery of my black MS P85 in Denver the end of February and they promised a detail soon thereafter. The car was in acceptable condition and they noted a few paint imperfections I pointed out, so I figured having sold me a $100K+ car they would make good on it. It took about a month before the arrangements were made, so I washed my P85 a few times before the professional detailing. I am pretty picky as I used to compete in concours, so I noticed every little thing. However, from one wash to the next I noticed a round spot or two that popped up that wasn't there a few days prior. They looked as if the paint had been hit by a tennis ball and a dull spot remained. First I noticed it on the driver's door, next the hood. I was completely puzzled.

When I reviewed the car with the detailer he told me he had seen it on several other MS vehicles. Having witnessed deliveries to the service center, he told me the spots were a result of the "packaging" of the vehicles from the manufacturing plant and the transit. There are pressure points that have rubbed these areas and caused the dull spots. He has seen this a multitude of times and brought it to the attention of Tesla, to no avail.

I have a few other issues with the quality of the paint job from Tesla, but will try to work it out rather than highlight it here. That being said, Tesla needs to work on the quality control of the paint and finish AT THE FACTORY and not leave it to the service centers to find resolutions after the fact to deal with the issues.

Nonetheless, I LOVE MY TESLA. :biggrin:

When I reviewed the car with the detailer he told me he had seen it on several other MS vehicles. Having witnessed deliveries to the service center, he told me the spots were a result of the "packaging" of the vehicles from the manufacturing plant and the transit. There are pressure points that have rubbed these areas and caused the dull spots. He has seen this a multitude of times and brought it to the attention of Tesla, to no avail.

I've seen what I think are the same paint defects on my car (hard to say without a picture) and I did factory pickup, so I suspect it's somewhere earlier in the process than transit.

I've seen what I think are the same paint defects on my car (hard to say without a picture) and I did factory pickup, so I suspect it's somewhere earlier in the process than transit.

Ditto, weird marks though, they're very evident under artificial light, but in the cold light of day (at the service center, of course), you could hardly see them.

@Calbeach95 Did you get them all fixed? I'm apparently waiting on Tesla to certify a bodyshop for the DFW area before having mine looked at.