Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Problems on my new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my new car and noticed it has so little paint on the inside of the doors that you can see the yellow undercoat showing through. This is also the case around the hinges on doors and trunk lids. Is this typical for all Model 3's? Could some members please check the inside of their doors and door jambs and let me know if yours looks like the photos I have posted?

Thanks.
Tesla door.JPG
Tesla hinge.JPG

Whats your vin? Bummer to see them still cutting corners where it's less visible. We've seen others with thin paint on the forum, and I believe someone was deciding to return the car vs having it resprayed (most agreed that returning it made more sense.) Yours doesnt look as bad though.

I just picked up my new car and noticed it has so little paint on the inside of the doors that you can see the yellow undercoat showing through. This is also the case around the hinges on doors and trunk lids. Is this typical for all Model 3's? Could some members please check the inside of their doors and door jambs and let me know if yours looks like the photos I have posted?

Thanks.View attachment 355931View attachment 355932

LOL. If I open my doors I can see the primer. Do you really want Tesla to take your car to a bodyshop that will possibly return it with more issues than it has now?

Spraying cars is just not Tesla's strong suit. It is what it is. When I clayed and polished my car there were a few spots where I had small amounts of blue paint on my rags and buffer pads. So either they put some touch up paint on it at some point or they really REALLY suck at painting.

If I was you, I would show up where you took delivery and tell them you want to return the car. Then settle for a grand or two of service credit because that is roughly what it would cost for them to sub out the paint work most likely... I wouldn't let them redo any paint though... If people keep letting them get by with sloppy work, they will keep doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Boy ..... super20g ..... I do not see anything "funny: about the situation shown and described on this thread.

Tesla needs to get serious PDQ about resolving these issues.
On YouTube there are now negative video articles about the paint. Paint should never have been a Tesla's weaknesses.
Even .... Maaco does a more credible job painting a car than Tesla.
Great design; great electronics; great concept.
Crappy assembly and finish. (based on so many owners on this forum).

Many defend Tesla saying ... all car have paint issues. Maybe yes, or maybe no .... but if there are issues, they are normally resolved before delivery to the buyer.

And WHY are so many 3"s reportedly returned from the SC damaged? and by transportation?
Toyota , Honda and so many others transport vehicles from the far side of the globe, and they are delivered to the new owner pristine.

I would just leave it the way it is. I have the same paint issue and primer on those hinges. I just have the feeling that if they try to fix it it might come back worse. Not going to take my chances. Plus you can't see it when the doors are closed and the metal is still protected.

Based solely on what has been written on this forum.

First, after assembling as many cars as have been built in California .... Tesla should have resolved all the QC issues by now.

A recent YouTube video shows Tesla's being assembled. The narrator raved about QC and how robots perform with exactness and precision. One segment showed the paint robots ....... how can one vehicle (perhaps many) come out perfectly, and some so poorly? It's a complete mystery.

Tesla is now assembling cars in China. Has anyone seen a China Tesla in person? Is the QC better than the California assembled vehicles?

Finally .... Tesla vehicles seem to suffer unreasonable damage in transit. That makes no sense. European and Asian vehicles are shipped around the world and arrive mostly undamaged ..... or perhaps the port of entry does some repair work. Whatever the reason, Tesla must become more attentive to QC.

Reactions: super20g