Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection and Cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done a lot of searching, and have found a lot of different opinions on the subject of protecting the paint from rock chips, cleaning your car, etc... However, I've yet to be able to really see a definitive answer for this.

So we all want to keep our beautiful Tesla free of rock chips, make cleaning fast; as to avoid water spotting and surface scratching from cleaning, and make it shine like the day we picked it up and brought it home. There are many different products to help us accomplish this, however, some of these products and services can cost $2,000+. Some of you are fortunate enough to be able to use the "money is no object" approach to caring for your Tesla, and I commend you for that. I am one of those people that believes and tries to live by the "Diminishing Rate of Return" principle. This most likely includes performing most of the services myself, which I have no problem with, just so long as the service doesn't involve a particular skill set that exceeds what I'm capable of.

Keeping the "Diminishing Rate of Return" principle in mind, what are the best products and/or services (along with their costs) to apply to my Tesla that allows me to:

- Protection from all rock chips
- Being able to quickly wash my Tesla and have it practically dry itself without showing any water-spots
- Eliminating spider scratches in the clear coat (I have a Solid Black Tesla, so this can show easier than most other paints)

Again, I'm not asking just for "what do you do?", unless what you do uses the DRR principle. It would also help if you can provide links to these products/services.

Thank you.

I'm definitely not in the money is no object crowd, but I am in the crowd that can stretch to afford things when I value it enough.

I'm going to get a full wrap on my X, but I did a lot of shopping around to get a decent price. The most recommended/highest end shop in my area quoted me a price that was simply out of my range. It still gives me heartburn even with the price I'm getting at another shop, but looking at the condition that my 7 year old black Chrysler Aspen is in on the exterior, I'm confident that it will be worth it to me in the long run. With four kids, I simply don't have the time to be babying the exterior of my car with proper hand washes on a regular basis. And with the cost of an X, I'm really hoping for it to last a long time - possibly a decade or more. It'd sure be great if I can keep it looking decent for that long, with minimal investment of time and money in the interim.

Ccutrer, I'm guessing that full wrap is going to run you $1,500+. If that is the case, then I would consider that to be above and beyond what I'm looking to do. I know there are DIY products out that are fairly inexpensive $50-$80 that can be applied once every 1-2 years that will make keeping the Tesla clean a breeze. I'm looking for the right one. Beyond that, rock protection is also I want to do, but I'm looking for the best way to go without breaking the bank. I've personally done plasti-dip in the past, which is very inexpensive, and it works. However, I don't care for the finish. A wrap does look better. However, both the wrap and Plasti-Dip, eventually has to be changed, as they both start to wear. To do the front end of the X in Plasti-Dip yourself, would only run about $50. To wrap the front of the X, I'm guessing about $800-$1000 (this would include the bumper, hood and mirrors). Although I don't care for the finish of the Plasti-Dip as much, this is where DRR comes into play. DRR dictates that Plasti-Dip is the way to go. I would then just peel off and re-apply the section that received any major impact from a rock to keep proper coverage and to maintain the best look. Plasti-Dip does sell a clear spray, so even though it would look dull where it was applied, at least the car would be protected.

However, I am still waiting to hear from anyone who has a better solution.

Ccutrer, I'm guessing that full wrap is going to run you $1,500+. If that is the case, then I would consider that to be above and beyond what I'm looking to do. I know there are DIY products out that are fairly inexpensive $50-$80 that can be applied once every 1-2 years that will make keeping the Tesla clean a breeze. I'm looking for the right one. Beyond that, rock protection is also I want to do, but I'm looking for the best way to go without breaking the bank. I've personally done plasti-dip in the past, which is very inexpensive, and it works. However, I don't care for the finish. A wrap does look better. However, both the wrap and Plasti-Dip, eventually has to be changed, as they both start to wear. To do the front end of the X in Plasti-Dip yourself, would only run about $50. To wrap the front of the X, I'm guessing about $800-$1000 (this would include the bumper, hood and mirrors). Although I don't care for the finish of the Plasti-Dip as much, this is where DRR comes into play. DRR dictates that Plasti-Dip is the way to go. I would then just peel off and re-apply the section that received any major impact from a rock to keep proper coverage and to maintain the best look. Plasti-Dip does sell a clear spray, so even though it would look dull where it was applied, at least the car would be protected.

However, I am still waiting to hear from anyone who has a better solution.

$1500 plus for a full wrap???? Cheapest I have seen is $5000. Shop probably pays at least $1500 for full wrap supplies.

Ceramic coatings are great, but not totally bulletproof. Light surface scratching, yes. Rock chips, no. I had my front end wrapped along with mirrors, front of rear tires and rear bumper which ran $2,400 (but this also included polish and paint correction of the ENTIRE vehicle). Ceramic coating the entire car is roughly $1,500 (I went with Crystal Serum and I'm happy with the results). I've never heard of anyone getting a quality wrap job for $1,500.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I have prepared a lot of information to help educate owners about the available options so that they can make the best choice for themselves. Much of what you seek can be found in these pieces. If you or anyone else has any questions beyond what is found here, fire away!

Clear Bra: Is it a good fit for you?
This piece identifies what clear bra is and how it works as well as some things to look for in your installation professional.

What causes swirl marks(and other defects) and how you can protect your car from them
This article identifies the main culprits for defects in your paint, steps you can take to minimize or eliminate these concerns and protective technologies one may find value in.

The Paint Coating Triangle: A necessity for long term satisfaction
This topic discusses 3 necessities for satisfaction with coatings ...though, it could easily apply to any protective technology.

I hope these help you understand the subjects and give you the tools to make the best decision for your personal needs. As we all know, everyone has unique needs/budgets/wants. The best thing you can do is be educated so that you are not being sold something you do not understand.

Enjoy!

Reactions: COrich
If your goal is rock protection, a wrap is the way to go. I was quoted $5000 to do the X - out of my range.

As an alternative, I use Klasse all in one and sealant glaze. It does a good job at dealing the car and protecting it from swirls, but not rocks.