Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection: ClearGuardX vs. XPEL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The relevance here is regarding utilizing quality installers. Installers with experience backed with talent. It's far too easy to say I have been doing things x number of years, when in reality it is far shorter. The internet makes it too easy for anyone to lay claims. We have been in this industry for over 17 years now, so we have seen a lot....

100% agree. I too have seen so many that claim they can tint or wrap a car but once I put them on a car it takes all of 5mins for me to tell them thanks but no thanks! Personally I find the good ones have two traits over the others. They love working on the hard cars so never shy away from them. They also tend to be OCD :wink:.

Thank you for clarifying. That is correct, our original Southern California facility used Ventureshield exclusively, so they never had access to Clearguardx.

My apologies as it was not an inference to your company when I mentioned up-sellers. As a matter of fact I assumed you performed all services in-house.

The relevance here is regarding utilizing quality installers. Installers with experience backed with talent. It's far too easy to say I have been doing things x number of years, when in reality it is far shorter. The internet makes it too easy for anyone to lay claims. We have been in this industry for over 17 years now, so we have seen a lot....

No problem. From what was conveyed by installer, client, and his invoice, Prestige Cleargaurd was noted as film used. I value your opinion and trust your expertise relating to the characteristics of the pictures I posted above and how it's similar to ventureshield degradation, and not Clearguard.

We do perform all work in-house by a talented group of individuals I trust. They simply do an installation to my specifications and direction. I know what I excel at and bring in others with the same passion and expertise to carry out various aspects of a project when it's outside my scope. I feel that way our company is doing what's best for the client and his/her vehicle they have entrusted to us. Through the past 20 years, we've had installers come and go, but the constant is my evolving vision and how every vehicle coming and going through our door is executed with that vision being consistently carried out and improved upon all the time. Call it a "tango with perfection". Perfection is an illusion we constantly chase. That's the thrill and why we never stop improving and learning and pushing the envelope.

We both agree, and I hope everyone reading this thread takes away, your installer and HOW the work is done is what you ultimately are paying for. Material isn't cheap, but it shouldn't be the deciding factor. You can have a great material but mediocre installer, but you seldom get mediocre material from excellent installer...they have too much pride to use inferior products.

Suntek is about 2 mils thinner than xpel ultimate. However, it has less orange peel and is clearer. So on a metallic paint, you will see the flecks of metal much better and clearer.

Durability wise, I'm not aware of any film that can be extremely clear, little orange peel, be thick enough to resist most extreme rock chips, and be self healing. There are films that excel in some areas, but none have excelled at ALL areas.

So, for our clients, I make it simple. If they're concerned about durability and warranty, but are willing to give up a little clarity, we choose XPEL Ultimate. A neat thing about XPEL Ultimate is that it allows UV rays to penetrate, and that help when it comes to removal as the original paint will have faded at the same rate as the unprotected areas.

For someone that wants great protection, not excellent, but want it to look as close to paint as possible, then we choose Suntek Topcoat.

Moe -- your answer was very helpful. Thanks.

Trying to decide between XPEL Ultimate and ClearGuardX for paint protection on a blue Model S. From talking to a couple of people it sounds like ClearGuardX has the same self-healing properties but is much more clear compared to XPEL Ultimate. Has anyone seen both films in person?
I can't speak for ClearGuardX, but I'll be in CA for TMC Connect (mid-July) if you want to see my XPEL that has been on the vehicle since January 2013 (17 months so far).