Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection film and badging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this has been discussed before, if so my search queries suck.

I'm taking delivery soon and am planning to get a full car XPEL install and was curious about the badging on the rear. Does the PPF installer cut around the badging or take the badging off and then reapply it on top of the PPF?

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I guess it depends on the installer. It's certainly easier for them not to have to cut around stuff. I did not go up into areas with the writing with the individual letters so just the bigger objects were probably easier to cut around.

Or leave it debadged.... I'm surprised I don't see more debadged. (At least on the lower trims I guess). If I had a p100dL yeah I probably would not debadged till they come out with a p200dl

just sharing my opinion I guess it could go the other way a de badged car could also be the fastest model .. a sleeper per say, but I feel the tesla is already a sleeper even if its a P90DL or P100Dl some people have no idea what it is especially since its so deceivingly quiet vs other quick/fast cars :cool:

But personally I would never de badge a P90DL or P100DL, a car that I paid 119k-150k for.. Id like people to know what the car is given the price point and the lack of visual clues that others can't just add to there car. For example this past weekend I ran into a guy who de badged his car at a car show, he also painted his brake calipers red and added a $1500 spoiler to make his car look like a 109-150k P90D-P90DL or P100DL though it was only a 70k 70D... thus my opinion debugged teslas tend to be low end models

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the feedback. We're getting a P100D and I was curious because it will remain badged after the film install but if I get too many gearheads wanting to race in unsafe locations all the time I might pull the badge off even though it might not make a difference. But since it might be wrapped with XPEL Stealth it would look terrible if the film was cut around the badging if the badge was removed. First world problems right? ;)

Thanks guys for the feedback. We're getting a P100D and I was curious because it will remain badged after the film install but if I get too many gearheads wanting to race in unsafe locations all the time I might pull the badge off even though it might not make a difference. But since it might be wrapped with XPEL Stealth it would look terrible if the film was cut around the badging if the badge was removed. First world problems right? ;)

If the badges are removable, we typically remove them here at our XPEL San Antonio location. We'll make a design of the logo so the placement is correct and we remove the adhesive and replace it with a double sided adhesive and put it back on top of the film.

For cars that the badges do not come off, our pre-cut kits allow for the emblems to be pre-cut out of the film, that way there is no need to trim around the emblems.

So far I've found 2 main types those that have no idea what it is or how fast it is, and those that do know how fast it is and don't want to race. I don't think you will have a problem with the car being badged personally.

I find most of the "cave men" in there ice age muscle cars think "humph a slow electric car" and don't even bother or if they do know what it is they know better then race you and get there ass handed to them.

I have Expel ultimate full body wrap including the seat backs and noticed recently that it was cut around and not removed and replaced. ..I prefer a clean look and would have insisted, had i know this earlier.. hope this helps.

XPEL has excellent patterns that already have great cutouts of where emblems are. Installer has flexibility of leaving the cutout As-is, modifying it, or deleting it. On our Moderate, semi-custom installations, we either remove things, like side signal lights on fenders, or we simply leave cutout, like P90D or MODEL X, unless client requests us to remove and replace. We have templates made to put letters, new ones from service centers as we never re-use emblems in the rear, back in precise location it was removed from.

Hope this answers your original question. In the end, it's attention to detail and personal choice. No right or wrong answer.

I had my installer debadge the Model X and the 90D emblems from my car. Think it looks cleaner without the badging and less places for road grime to accumulate. The Xpel is cut out around the T in the middle - luckily not too much issue so far with any grime accumulating there (but I have titanium so it may be harder to see anyway)

Last edited:
It takes two to race.
I just smile, politely.

Reactions: KrisB