Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection film and ceramic coating in Maine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a recommendation for a place to have paint protection film and ceramic coating in done Maine?

I am in midcoast Maine and haven't had any lot of luck with any place getting back to me. Our model Y is approaching a month old and needs protection.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Saturday
PPF sadly no, had to go to Boston area.
Was in responsive talks with Details by Jim | Premium Car Detailing Vassalboro, Maine | Car Detailing about my future Model Y; now postponed. Want a color wrap with coating and he uses Ceramic Pro and works with someone near Augusta with wrap experience.
Details by Jim
31 Village Circle, Augusta, ME, 04330
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: +12073131840

I have Opti-coat on my X and had a refresh last year by I. M. Detailed in Lisbon

The original PPF and coating was done by people at Auto Detailing in Dedham, MA | Craft Detailing | Opti-Coat Pro Installer but they are in Dedham MA

Know You Know Channel is doing bits on a ceramic coating anyone can apply—materials have become less finicky. A propper PPF takes some skill.

Have full wrap on X and it has held up well. Partial wrap on 3 shows edges and incomplete protection, wish I had done full wrap.
The coating just makes washing a breeze, but I still spray on shine every now and then.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1
PPF sadly no, had to go to Boston area.
Was in responsive talks with Details by Jim | Premium Car Detailing Vassalboro, Maine | Car Detailing about my future Model Y; now postponed. Want a color wrap with coating and he uses Ceramic Pro and works with someone near Augusta with wrap experience.
Details by Jim
31 Village Circle, Augusta, ME, 04330
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: +12073131840

I have Opti-coat on my X and had a refresh last year by I. M. Detailed in Lisbon

The original PPF and coating was done by people at Auto Detailing in Dedham, MA | Craft Detailing | Opti-Coat Pro Installer but they are in Dedham MA

Know You Know Channel is doing bits on a ceramic coating anyone can apply—materials have become less finicky. A propper PPF takes some skill.

Have full wrap on X and it has held up well. Partial wrap on 3 shows edges and incomplete protection, wish I had done full wrap.
The coating just makes washing a breeze, but I still spray on shine every now and then.

Proud owner of an 8-day old Model Y myself and, @Gwgan , your info above is super super helpful. I'm considering PPF myself, but waiting until my first service appt is over in case they replace any panels etc - don't want to be replacing panels i've already PPF'd.

From my checking out Craft Detailing - looks like PPF and Opti-Coat Plus are slightly different. When you said you have Opti-Coat on your MX and had a refresh last year, what's it mean to get a refresh?

Do you have thoughts on which is better, just PPF vs. Opti-Coat (which sounds like ceramic coating) vs. both?

Congrats on the Y.

PPF is a thick, clear, self-healing barrier to rock chips and keeps chemicals away from the paint. It can hold on to grit and does need to be washed. Door dings and scrapes are often only as deep as the film which can be replaced for less than the body part.

Ceramic coating is bonded to the surface to create a slick hydrophobic coating which does not hold on to bugs and dirt so cleaning is essentially wet wiping. There is a warranty but it requires annual maintenance where they wash and test for coverage and touch up as needed (for a fee).

Lots of threads on this forum about these products and I have no opinion about which is better.

If I did not live where they salt the roads I would probably skip the PPF. Vinyl wrap is less protective than PPF but comes in colors so I will try that on my next car. I tried spray coating on a previous car and while the matte apprarance and scratch resistance was nice it did not weather well and the rough surface was hard to clean.

Basically, the PPF is to protect the car and the coating is for me so I don’t have to wax.

Reactions: drx10
Congrats on the Y.

PPF is a thick, clear, self-healing barrier to rock chips and keeps chemicals away from the paint. It can hold on to grit and does need to be washed. Door dings and scrapes are often only as deep as the film which can be replaced for less than the body part.

Ceramic coating is bonded to the surface to create a slick hydrophobic coating which does not hold on to bugs and dirt so cleaning is essentially wet wiping. There is a warranty but it requires annual maintenance where they wash and test for coverage and touch up as needed (for a fee).

Lots of threads on this forum about these products and I have no opinion about which is better.

If I did not live where they salt the roads I would probably skip the PPF. Vinyl wrap is less protective than PPF but comes in colors so I will try that on my next car. I tried spray coating on a previous car and while the matte apprarance and scratch resistance was nice it did not weather well and the rough surface was hard to clean.

Basically, the PPF is to protect the car and the coating is for me so I don’t have to wax.

Awesome, thank you. I'll def have to think about what type/level of protection needed being in ME. I'm guessing some people will do both? Ceramic Coating underneath, then put PPF on top? Seems like a lot. Also sounds expensive.

Awesome, thank you. I'll def have to think about what type/level of protection needed being in ME. I'm guessing some people will do both? Ceramic Coating underneath, then put PPF on top? Seems like a lot. Also sounds expensive.
Ceramic coating is on top of bare paint or on top of any protective film, it is the glossy surface that makes cleaning easy.

Reactions: drx10
I am looking for a recommendation for a place to have paint protection film and ceramic coating in done Maine?

I am in midcoast Maine and haven't had any lot of luck with any place getting back to me. Our model Y is approaching a month old and needs protection.

Thanks in advance!

If you find any local / ME places that'll do some good work (PPF and/or ceramic coating) that you're looking for, let me know! I checked out Craft Detailing in Dedham, MA and got a $2,000 quote for the Full Frontal PPF, additional $1600 for full car ceramic coating. I can tell they do good work though, but if we can find a local spot, might be easier.

The 3M site does not list any PPF dealers in Maine, still. Some car dealerships have experience applying front bra pieces but I’ve not heard of anybody doing whole custom wraps and Downeast Toyota was not interested in expanding service. Maybe a group of us could talk with Lee Auto since Mr. Lee is a Tesla owner and the business advertises Tesla service.

Mr. Lee is a Tesla owner and the business advertises Tesla service.
really?

anyone have any experience servicing there?

im trying to figure out where I will be able to change out tires without the shop missing the jack points or getting brake dust on white seats.

And I don’t want to drive all the way down to Electrified Garage.

any tire shops anyone would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Back to your original question, @kayak1 , I may have found one that's close to me in Greater Portland area: Sun Stoppers (Window Tinting | Portland, ME | Sun Stoppers). Saw a google review of someone who brought their Model S in for some PPF back in Feb 2020. I'll call them tmo and check out their quote for a Model Y.

Would be huge to save me a trip down to Dedham, MA if they can do it. I know you said you're in Midcoast Maine so coming to the Portland area would be a drag, but I'll report back anyways what I find out.

Reactions: Gwgan
Back to your original question, @kayak1 , I may have found one that's close to me in Greater Portland area: Sun Stoppers (Window Tinting | Portland, ME | Sun Stoppers). Saw a google review of someone who brought their Model S in for some PPF back in Feb 2020. I'll call them tmo and check out their quote for a Model Y.

Would be huge to save me a trip down to Dedham, MA if they can do it. I know you said you're in Midcoast Maine so coming to the Portland area would be a drag, but I'll report back anyways what I find out.

Portland is just an hour away, I will drop down to pick up items at whole foods, easier than going to MA. I had left Sun Stoppers a voice mail a couple of weeks ago and didn't get a callback.

If you get a call back from Sun Stoppers please let me know.