Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection Film (PPF) & Ceramic Coating

What EXTERIOR car protection are you going to get?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, I'm in WA and took my M3 for a scratch fix today and saw two MY's. Surprised how much bigger they seem than the M3. What I did notice was both of them looked pretty rough. Saw lots of scratches and stuff being fixed (assuming before going to custmer?). I'd keep an eye out during delivery!

As far as PPF, I was quoted $1950 by a local business that will come to the delivery center with an enclosed trailer, take it to their shop and install Xpel and then transport it back over to my house. They did my ZL1 Camaro using this method, plus paint corrected/ceramic coated the entire car, including rims and calipers.

Hey, where in GA do you live? I'm in Marietta. Can you state the name of that local business and location? Sounds like a great deal.

My local guy "throws in" a ceramic coating underneath a full PPF. Does that make sense?

Applying a ceramic coating underneath PPF would not provide much benefit if any. Ceramic coatings have a high surface tension and therefore make things want to stick on their surface less. A ceramic should be applied on top of PPF if you're looking for the UV protection, hydro-phobics, and stain resistance. Ceramic underneath PPF would just make a PPF install harder and more likely to lift on complex areas.

Reactions: FredMertz
just got my MY performance back today!!
  • paint correction (owner said my paint job was better than other Teslas, but not sure if that's a GREAT thing lol)
  • XPEL ultimate on bumpers, headlights, mirrors, etc.
  • XPEL tint on windshield, windows, top pano glass
  • ceramic coating on any other exposed parts
for an installer in the Sacramento area message me for details - i highly recommend this shop!

1.jpg

E2735939-4B7E-4B96-AA9D-F01D9FA32E00.jpeg
Got mine back from shop yesterday after paint correction and Opti-Coat Pro+. This is the 3rd car that I have had done. Love it. Shines like crazy, and is a breeze to wash/dry. This is the first one with the Pro+. Much brighter shine. Had paint, glass and trim done. Highly recommend. Front window and windshield tint is next.
E2735939-4B7E-4B96-AA9D-F01D9FA32E00.jpeg

Reactions: Y_tho
I would recommend the front paint protection (clear bra) on the M3. My wife has had her M3 for about 18 months and after 26K miles of freeway driving, there are some pitting and chips on that flat front nose. I just got my M3 in December and put on a partial paint protection (bumper and partial fenders) and it looks seamless. Unless you inspected it very closely, you would never know it was there.

I'm doing front Llumar PPL (3M) on front and Ceramic Pro all over next week. Debating on caliper paint. I've read all the posts and also went and got a consultation. I think it's pretty person dependent if it's needed and you have the money. It's not cheap. I plan to decide on tint when it gets hot (albeit that's the cheapest part)

I'm doing front Llumar PPL (3M) on front and Ceramic Pro all over next week. Debating on caliper paint. I've read all the posts and also went and got a consultation. I think it's pretty person dependent if it's needed and you have the money. It's not cheap. I plan to decide on tint when it gets hot (albeit that's the cheapest part)

Its been awhile since I have done tint but the quotes I am getting these days are insane as well. 200 dollars for 2 windows! I used to do the whole car with ceramic tint for just a little more then that...

Just got mine wrapped up this week :p

Anyways, Xpel Ultimate on the full front, a-pillars, mirrors and on rear bumper. Ceramic coated the rims and calipers. They also did the interior piano black trim, including the window controls and door handle areas.

It then went over to the window tint guy and they did 70 Suntek windshield and then 15 front/50 rear of Llumar IRX. I did not do the roof yet as I wanted to see how they hold up with tint. If it's not an issue after the summer then it will get some type of tint.
IMG_6639.jpg

Anyways, Xpel Ultimate on the full front, a-pillars, mirrors and on rear bumper. Ceramic coated the rims and calipers. They also did the interior piano black trim, including the window controls and door handle areas.

It then went over to the window tint guy and they did 70 Suntek windshield and then 15 front/50 rear of Llumar IRX. I did not do the roof yet as I wanted to see how they hold up with tint. If it's not an issue after the summer then it will get some type of tint.
View attachment 533693
Can you post pictures of the piano black wrap. Not a big fan of the look on the factory console area!

View attachment 533693

Looks so good!