Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection film vs parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idea wasn't to see how accurate the sensors were in an absolute sense. The idea was to see if the area/sensor closest to the object varied with/without film on it.

I just want to point out that in the video you are measuring the distance from one sensor to the object, and coming up with 24 inches. The dash is showing the distance from the front of the car to the object as 22 inches. Since the nosecone is curved, the front of the car is, in fact, less than 24 inches from the object. I can't say if it is a full 2 inches closer--it's probably not. But I'm not sure why you would want to measure directly to the sensor when that's not the purpose of the sensor. The sensors, working together, are attempting to tell you how far the car is from an object. And since the portion of the car that was highlighted on the dash was the very front section, you should have been measuring from the very tip of the car, which would have resulted in the car's estimate being even closer than it was.

The idea wasn't to see how accurate the sensors were in an absolute sense. The idea was to see if the area/sensor closest to the object varied with/without film on it.

I think you are still kind of missing my point.

You are never able to test one sensor on the car. The reading the car was giving you was the car's summary of several of the front sensors, including the one you were measuring from, working together to estimate how close the front of the car was to the object. The goal was to measure the distance from the front of the car, not some random point somewhere on the front edge of the car.

Last edited:
I think you are still kind of missing my point.

You are never able to test one sensor on the car. The reading the car was giving you was the car's summary of several of the front sensors, including the one you were measuring from, working together to estimate how close the front of the car was to the object. The goal was to measure the distance from the front of the car, not some random point somewhere on the front edge of the car.

I do better understand your point now. Thank you.

But I have tested one sensor before and it read accurately despite what other sensors were reading. With full disclosure in mind, it was on the rear bumper and not the front. When I have the time I will double check to see if it summarizes a distance or if it will indeed read to the closest point as we were testing in the video.

Just had Suntek PPF installed on our new Model S. The installer covered the sensor with the PPF. I'm not sure if it's affecting the sensor, but in the garage, everything reads fine.

The one thing I don't like, is that the sensors now all have a white ring around it. It looks like the norm for most installers is to cut around the sensors.

We cover over the sensors as well. It doesn't affect performance of sensors once the film is dried out. It's a personal choice really. If you don't like it, just let installer know and he/she should easily be able to cut the holes out.

Thanks for replying. It makes me feel better knowing that some installers leave them covered. One thing we are having issues with, not sure if it's related to the sensor being covered, the summon stops way to early in our garage. I have it set to 8 inches, but it stops at over 30 inches away. Have to use summon again, then it'll continue to the 8 inch buffer.