Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection Film - Worth It?

Do you plan to get PPF on your new Tesla?

• No

Votes: 112 47.7%
  • Yes (Partial Coverage)

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • Yes (Full Coverage)

Votes: 23 9.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 51 21.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PPF, for me, wouldn't be about the costs etc. I can and have done near invisible repairs on other cars, so it's the hassle Vs that looking at your car every am and thinking 'i must fix that scratch this weekend' and never getting time. PPF is about making that go away, whether it's my time or someone else's money.

Yes exactly, it's all well and good saying 'i'll just pay for repairs' but at what point do you do that? After every chip or wait until you get a few and drive around with the car not looking pristine for a bit? Only to have to do it all again in a year.
It's the convenience you're paying for, more than anything else.

Seeing increasing numbers of reports about premature rust and erosion, particularly around the rocker/sill areas and arches, I'm happy to have invested in PPF. Although I've had it applied all over to try and relieve some of the angst over dodgy paintwork, keying etc. Worth it for me.

Looking at this too basically bumper bonnet wings sills etc getting quotes of aroun 1500-2k
Does anyone in the Birmingham area have any recommendations for ppf installers??
We had the full car done for £3k but it was a deal done on the back of extra work on another car later. Done nicely and detailed first as you'd expect. Be sure that your quotes include to wrap around the panel edges as many just run flush with the edge and then trim. Really you need to protect the edges as well as the main panel area. Our chap was up north of Derby which may be a bit too far for you

I Tweeted Direct Line (our current insurer) to ask if PPF was a problem. They said that they will not insure that ‘modification’ right now.

I don’t know why PPF is considered a modification, or why they can’t just exclude the cost of PPF from any claims. It’s not like it changes the risk, surely? o_O

It definitely shits my decision a little in favour of ‘don’t bother’.

Direct Line on Twitter

How do DL think that protecting your paintwork is a modification so great that they won't insure you. Not as if it's going to make you go faster!! I was planning on a FULL XPEL PPF but I also intended to insure with DL as they were the cheapest

Looking at this too basically bumper bonnet wings sills etc getting quotes of aroun 1500-2k
Does anyone in the Birmingham area have any recommendations for ppf installers??

AutoShine and Tinting autoshineandtinting.co.uk quoted £2750 + VAT for a full wrap with Xpel Ultimate giving a 10 years guarantee. Plus £150 + VAT for Xpel Fusion ceramic coating. All the PPF is computer cut.

I Tweeted Direct Line (our current insurer) to ask if PPF was a problem. They said that they will not insure that ‘modification’ right now.

I don’t know why PPF is considered a modification, or why they can’t just exclude the cost of PPF from any claims. It’s not like it changes the risk, surely? o_O

It definitely shits my decision a little in favour of ‘don’t bother’.

Direct Line on Twitter

I have just rang DL on 0800 051 0036 (from Tesla site) and asked if PPF would change the premium. He said no even after I explained what it is. At the end when they ask any modifications I say yes PPF. Again he said that it’s fine. He confirmed that he deals with mostly Tesla’s and PPF is okay as it’s a paint protector

Hi Guys,
I read somewhere on the internet that Tesla are planning to make PPF free to new and existing Model 3 owners that reside in "Tough" climates, in the example, I beleive Canada was quoted. Would you know if there is any truth to this? (I'm currently based in the UK).

Yes, ive just had mine partial cover with xpel (10yr warranty) by Autoshineandtinting, Telford. They also tinted my rear passenger windows to 20%.
The partial PPF included everything forward of the A pillars, including the A pillars, wings, headlights, sills, botton of all 4 doors from the crease line to the bottom edge wrapped under, front & lower half of rear wheel arches + top of rear bumper + high gloss part of centre console. Total cost 1520 inc vat. Highly recommended.
I had previously foam cleaned & clay barred the body, polished a couple of v minor blemishes & polished to a high shine. Finally ceramic coated with drexler ceramic coating.
Hope that helps.
My work took 2.5 days & the PPF etc took 4.5 days.
The finish is superb, unfortunately we've had no weather suitable for photos as yet but I intend placing sone on thus forum in due course.

My understanding is that PPF is certainly not 100% effective in stopping stone chips and is relatively poor value compared a front end respray at around £1500. PPF is always visible to some degree and becomes more visible with time and damage. I'm happy to put up with the stone chips. If the bodywork is protected with sealant and/or wax it should be fine from a corrosion perspective. For example I have a 2002 Porsche Boxster which has done 190k miles without any new paint. The front is covered in stone chips, but none of them are showing any corrosion; it just looks a bit unsightly, but that's my choice.

Reactions: BayAreaCelt
Yes, ive just had mine partial cover with xpel (10yr warranty) by Autoshineandtinting, Telford. They also tinted my rear passenger windows to 20%.
The partial PPF included everything forward of the A pillars, including the A pillars, wings, headlights, sills, botton of all 4 doors from the crease line to the bottom edge wrapped under, front & lower half of rear wheel arches + top of rear bumper + high gloss part of centre console. Total cost 1520 inc vat. Highly recommended.
I had previously foam cleaned & clay barred the body, polished a couple of v minor blemishes & polished to a high shine. Finally ceramic coated with drexler ceramic coating.
Hope that helps.
My work took 2.5 days & the PPF etc took 4.5 days.
The finish is superb, unfortunately we've had no weather suitable for photos as yet but I intend placing sone on thus forum in due course.

This thread seems to have been dormant for a year and a half. Do any members have information on the current attitude of insurers regarding partial or full PPF.

Thank you.

This thread seems to have been dormant for a year and a half. Do any members have information on the current attitude of insurers regarding partial or full PPF.

Thank you.

Yes they are still a pain.

Hastings and admiral will cover the car but not the cost of replacing ppf and your premium will increase. Knowing what i know now i probably wouldn't have bothered going for partial ppf

[snip] your premium will increase. Knowing what i know now i probably wouldn't have bothered going for partial ppf
It seems counterintuitive that something that may reduce claims ends up increasing the premium. If PPF protects against keying for example, as well as scuffs due to encounters with hedges on narrow country lanes, you'd think the insurer would be happy that I invested in PPF. I understand they may want to exclude covering the PPF itself in the event of an incident but to hike premiums because you have something that is protective just seems wrong.

The auto insurance market in the UK can be very frustrating. We didn't put PPF on our M3P for fear of impact on insurance, and I guess it will be the same with the upcoming Y.

Yes they are still a pain.

Hastings and admiral will cover the car but not the cost of replacing ppf and your premium will increase. Knowing what i know now i probably wouldn't have bothered going for partial ppf
Even partial is a pain! Of course Sod's Law might intervene, but if I have a small prang, I would expect in the come from the rear. In that case, the partial would be undamaged.

I can imagine that they would not cover it but to increase the premium for something that they don't cover begs the question, do they think that PPF make us unsafe?

Reactions: M3noob
Even partial is a pain! Of course Sod's Law might intervene, but if I have a small prang, I would expect in the come from the rear. In that case, the partial would be undamaged.

I can imagine that they would not cover it but to increase the premium for something that they don't cover begs the question, do they think that PPF make us unsafe?
Forgot to say, I would have thought that anyone taking such care of their car as to pay quite significant bucks for PPF would not be taking unnecessary risk with their pride and joy.