Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection Film - Worth It?

Do you plan to get PPF on your new Tesla?

• No

Votes: 112 47.7%
  • Yes (Partial Coverage)

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • Yes (Full Coverage)

Votes: 23 9.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 51 21.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even partial is a pain! Of course Sod's Law might intervene, but if I have a small prang, I would expect in the come from the rear. In that case, the partial would be undamaged.

I can imagine that they would not cover it but to increase the premium for something that they don't cover begs the question, do they think that PPF make us unsafe?
A small part of the car maybe but I doubt much more than that
Even so; the front end would be a generous gesture. Also, if it came as standard, we in the UK, I cannot speak for other territories, might have less
of an issue with out motor insurance underwriters.

Yes, ive just had mine partial cover with xpel (10yr warranty) by Autoshineandtinting, Telford. They also tinted my rear passenger windows to 20%.
The partial PPF included everything forward of the A pillars, including the A pillars, wings, headlights, sills, botton of all 4 doors from the crease line to the bottom edge wrapped under, front & lower half of rear wheel arches + top of rear bumper + high gloss part of centre console. Total cost 1520 inc vat. Highly recommended.
I had previously foam cleaned & clay barred the body, polished a couple of v minor blemishes & polished to a high shine. Finally ceramic coated with drexler ceramic coating.
Hope that helps.
My work took 2.5 days & the PPF etc took 4.5 days.
The finish is superb, unfortunately we've had no weather suitable for photos as yet but I intend placing sone on thus forum in due course.
It sounds wonderful. I hope I achieve similar result down here.
But tell me, does this mean that the indicative cost examples on PPF sites do not include preparing the car body for the PPF?
Also, you sound quite skilled detailing wise.

It sounds wonderful. I hope I achieve similar result down here.
But tell me, does this mean that the indicative cost examples on PPF sites do not include preparing the car body for the PPF?
Also, you sound quite skilled detailing wise.
Hi, I can’t really answer that. I went along to discuss what I wanted, time involved & obviously cost. I’d previously watched a couple of videos on how to prep for ceramic & decided to do that work myself (although I realise like any job the prep is almost more important than the final work).
I waited for a couple of forecast dry days & got cracking, 2.5 days later it was ready for the ppf, & she looked superb.
The ppf guys did find a postage stamp size area I’d not polished off the ceramic coating, but it’s at the bottom of the rear bumper, so no issue.
Approaching 2 years now & >18k miles & no stone chips. I did see a blemish in the middle of the bonnet a while back, damage from a stone but the excell protected the paint then repaired itself so I can’t find it now.
Overall expensive but if you own the car like I do then I consider it worth it. If it was lease it would be a different story.

Hi, I can’t really answer that. I went along to discuss what I wanted, time involved & obviously cost. I’d previously watched a couple of videos on how to prep for ceramic & decided to do that work myself (although I realise like any job the prep is almost more important than the final work).
I waited for a couple of forecast dry days & got cracking, 2.5 days later it was ready for the ppf, & she looked superb.
The ppf guys did find a postage stamp size area I’d not polished off the ceramic coating, but it’s at the bottom of the rear bumper, so no issue.
Approaching 2 years now & >18k miles & no stone chips. I did see a blemish in the middle of the bonnet a while back, damage from a stone but the excell protected the paint then repaired itself so I can’t find it now.
Overall expensive but if you own the car like I do then I consider it worth it. If it was lease it would be a different story.
I really would like to get PPF on the Y when it arrives. Just wish it wasn’t such a minefield with insurance.

I got mine PPF'd and its still picked up one or two chips, where, I can only assume the stone has hit the car with such force that its chipped the paint underneath the PPF.

That said, I dread to think what the state of it would have been without it.

Buuuut....I recently had a disagreement with the corner of my house and caused some very minor damage to the front bumper. The problem is its torn the PPF which makes it look far worse than it actually is.

After playing the insurance minefield game for weeks before renewal I chose a different path, which now leaves me with very few options, most of which involve the cost of getting the bumper re-ppf'd after getting a smart repair done.

I really would like to get PPF on the Y when it arrives. Just wish it wasn’t such a minefield with insurance.
I have a reasonable quote from Admiral. Their sale agent took note of the PPF situation but was unconcerned. I have almost made up my mind to bite the bullet and go for it. I am financing through a Tesla PCP and so have some control over what happens at the three year point. Therefore, the condition of the car, if I take the buy (pay the balloon) and then sell option, will be important and if I keep it, then even more important to me.
However, I am not sure of the benefit of shelling out for ceramic on the PPF. There is no, unbiased definitive truth. Unsurprisingly, the companies offering it believe it's the way to go.....what's a bloke to do.......

PS Direct Line who provide Tesla Insurance will not touch a PPF'd Tesla with a barge pole.

I have a reasonable quote from Admiral. Their sale agent took note of the PPF situation but was unconcerned. I have almost made up my mind to bite the bullet and go for it. I am financing through a Tesla PCP and so have some control over what happens at the three year point. Therefore, the condition of the car, if I take the buy (pay the balloon) and then sell option, will be important and if I keep it, then even more important to me.
However, I am not sure of the benefit of shelling out for ceramic on the PPF. There is no, unbiased definitive truth. Unsurprisingly, the companies offering it believe it's the way to go.....what's a bloke to do.......

PS Direct Line who provide Tesla Insurance will not touch a PPF'd Tesla with a barge pole.
Admiral here too, plus they'll insure Acceleration Boost aswell (not many companies will cover both)

My car has PPF and DL had no issue with noting it on the policy. I don't think they will cover the cost of replacing it but its there.
Did you make it clear to them that you have PPF?
I can only relate my experience with their agent today. He was quite adamant: A car with PPF will not be accepted for insurance.

Of course we are at the mercy of thdr knowledge base of the agent to which we speak..
LV were great and totally au fait with PPF and will pay for its replacement as part of an accident damage claim. But there were just to expensive for me. I may give them another in December.

Did you make it clear to them that you have PPF?
I can only relate my experience with their agent today. He was quite adamant: A car with PPF will not be accepted for insurance.

Of course we are at the mercy of thdr knowledge base of the agent to which we speak..
LV were great and totally au fait with PPF and will pay for its replacement as part of an accident damage claim. But there were just to expensive for me. I may give them another in December.
Yes I was and noted on the policy as vinyl/sticker/paint protection. I made it clear it was a clear film that i was installing ion the front of the car. I'm not expecting them to pay pay out for the cost of replace to be fair. Mind you this was back in 2019/20 so things may have changed.

I plan to add PPF to an incoming Model Y and got a quote from LV, like you it was over £500 more than DL!

Reactions: Wattsisname
Yes I was and noted on the policy as vinyl/sticker/paint protection. I made it clear it was a clear film that i was installing ion the front of the car. I'm not expecting them to pay pay out for the cost of replace to be fair. Mind you this was back in 2019/20 so things may have changed.

I plan to add PPF to an incoming Model Y and got a quote from LV, like you it was over £500 more than DL!
Very interesting - thank you. Is your current PPF wrapped around the edges of the doors, trunk/frunk etc or cut to the edge.
If the latter is it showing any signs of contamination at the edges? I have been reading some nightmare stories.