Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

paint protection film - would you pay more?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post. Apologies if in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Long time dreamer of Model S, too to be new owner! Can't wait to take delivery!

I just purchased an ex-demo 70d, and am considering getting a PPF (after professional detailing) on it due to suffering quite badly on resale values in the past with rock chips and scratches. Due to my circumstances, I will be selling my model S in about 16 months time and obviously would like max resale value.

Colour is solid black (limited options due to ex-demo).

2 questions:
1. would you pay more for a used model S with PPF on it? I would get Xpel ultimate, professionally installed of course, full car coverage.
2. would the car be worth say 1-1.5k more with pristine paint underneath (i.e. if i removed the ppf prior to sale)?

obviously I wish I could keep it forever, but due to emigrating in 16 months sadly thats not an option (though I'd buy a new one out in OZ anyway).

Further question to owners - how soft is the paint? my experience is mainly with german cars, and to me their paint seems very thin and easily scratched/chipped.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Agree with Bryan. I'm always willing to pay more for a car with PPF, although I'd not pay for the full cost of its application. Leave the film on when you sell it and leave it up to the new owner on whether or not to remove it. I've even installed PPF on a Camry I had!

thanks, very helpful. I'm lucky that I'm in the position that I can claim it off my tax (40% reduction in price) so figured its very cost effective to get it, but just thought I'd check.

went to the showroom today to drop off some paperwork, so excited can't wait to take delivery!