Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection film

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m waiting for delivery of my model 3 and noticed Tesla are selling a paint protection film (£50) for the panel between the rear door and rear wheel arch. Is this a known weak spot for stone chips and, if so, has anyone tried this kit?
Thanks

It's a weak spot for most vehicles, my truck is super dinged up down there for some reason, and a lot of cars come from the factory with PPF there now.

Since it's a flat area, it's a super easy spot to install PPF, with the operative word being "install". Installation is a bit of a process, but flat surfaces are easy to do.

Upvote 0
Here in Toronto, Tesla just delivered my M3 with front mud flaps (very short) and what looks like ppf along the whole length of the rocker panels.
But there doesn't appear to be anything "between the rear door and rear wheel arch", which was what I was expecting, as that's what they sell in the store.
Maybe they've decided the rocker panel ppf is sufficient?

Upvote 0
I’m waiting for delivery of my model 3 and noticed Tesla are selling a paint protection film (£50) for the panel between the rear door and rear wheel arch. Is this a known weak spot for stone chips and, if so, has anyone tried this kit?
Thanks
Lots of photos showing pitting on the rockers and dogleg. Mudflaps and/or PPF will help protect those areas. You don't have to get Tesla's meager offering.

Upvote 0
Lots of photos showing pitting on the rockers and dogleg. Mudflaps and/or PPF will help protect those areas. You don't have to get Tesla's meager offering.

Just going with the small area of PPF myself. I just can’t do mud flaps on a M3P. My rockers will get chewed up, I’m fine with re-spaying those down the road if needed. Just want to catch the worst area with the minimal amount of modification. Then again, I don’t live up north where I have to deal with winter road treatments.

Tim

Upvote 0