Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection Films

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compared to Model S, the SUV-height of Model X front bumper would be attacked by more stone chips. Especially for those who drive a lot on highway.

Anyone considering to install protection films on Model X? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

I tried this one because it offered XPEL precuts which I am more confident on the materials used and no need to worry about getting scars during the process. It has its own cutting machine in the shop which can tailor the cuttings based on your preferences. I was delighted with the services it offered.

Attachments

• IMG_8949.JPG
    IMG_8949.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 195
Reactions: mkq786 and Sather
I got a delivery on a Model S in March. Also now looking at options around paint protection.

Wrap seems to be very expensive. Any thoughts on paint coating?
I saw references in the forum on G.Guard, Pomponazzi, Bulls Coating etc.
Any experience or recommendations for paint coating vs wrap?

For full body Xpel, all seatbacks, all door sills, (if applicable) paint correction and buffing for minor new delivery scratches I got a quote of 40K.

That would be a little over 5k USD which if you search these forums you will discover is on the cheap side especially considering that the price includes the seat backs. Most have been very happy with the performance of the self healing Xpel wrap. Because I did not want to spend this much I chose to do just the full front and seat backs which will deal with the majority of stuff. I was glad I went with the extra expense of the full front because the hood is real focal point and partial hood treatment would have left a line in the middle of the hood that would have bugged me.

Reactions: mkq786
I got a delivery on a Model S in March. Also now looking at options around paint protection.

Wrap seems to be very expensive. Any thoughts on paint coating?
I saw references in the forum on G.Guard, Pomponazzi, Bulls Coating etc.
Any experience or recommendations for paint coating vs wrap?

I got ceramic pro on a model S for more than a year now.
I felt there was an improvement in color depth and shine
Coated surfaces are slightly more resistant to getting dirty and the body is much easier to wash.
There definitely was an improvement to light scratch resistance.
Still susceptible to door dings and rock chips though.
Not saying its not good value but I will go for a wrap next time.

That would be a little over 5k USD which if you search these forums you will discover is on the cheap side especially considering that the price includes the seat backs. Most have been very happy with the performance of the self healing Xpel wrap. Because I did not want to spend this much I chose to do just the full front and seat backs which will deal with the majority of stuff. I was glad I went with the extra expense of the full front because the hood is real focal point and partial hood treatment would have left a line in the middle of the hood that would have bugged me.

Given all of the services being provided, it certainly isn't unreasonable or out of reach if you're buying an X but 5% of the value of the car is a fair chunk of change.
Knowing that some places have a machine that precuts pieces is value and piece of mind added though.

Want to ask if you've noticed any uniformity between the Xpel'd and non Xpel'd surfaces. How long have you had it and how is it holding up?

IMG_5352.JPG (VIN 286xx Pearl white 90D, delivered 3 Feb)

I chosen the other shop in Tsuen Wan which also provides pre-cut self-healing PPF warp, but not using X-pel material. The claim their material is US-imported.
The price is much more digestible at $2xK, for full warp with seat back and door-sills as well.

I shopped around and $40k was just too much for this family carrier,
I believes my Pearl white X is prompt to have strone chipssss with its high no-grill front end and my mostly freeway driving.
but Ceramic coating will not have enough protection against stone chip and daily parking log abuses.

However, pre-cut warp will not fully cover the corners and gaps of the panel like custom hand-cutter warp. There is around 3mm un-covered area near the panel gap.
That's the disadvantage of choosing pre-cut but knowing there will be no cutter mark on paint.

There are paint defects when I picked up my X, but don't know when are service center going to fix them, so I go ahead to warp it first, and rewarp the paint defect part later if necessary.

Service from the warp shop is good so far but I haven't pick up my car yet, will post more once I got my car back.

Disclaimer: Not an Ad, Not relatered to shop.

IMG_5453.JPG

IMG_5528.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: ediot and mkq786
I agree AutoEver is not the cheapest for a full body XPel Ultimate wrap but I was very satisfied with their service for my MS. A week after the wrap, I noticed some bubbling on the side mirrors and AutoEver redid it for me no questions asked. Four months hence I am still very happy with the wrap. It has protected the car from dings and scratches and seems to work as advertised.

• Informative
Reactions: FequalsMA
View attachment 214562 (VIN 286xx Pearl white 90D, delivered 3 Feb)

I chosen the other shop in Tsuen Wan which also provides pre-cut self-healing PPF warp, but not using X-pel material. The claim their material is US-imported.
The price is much more digestible at $2xK, for full warp with seat back and door-sills as well.

I believes my Pearl white X is prompt to have strone chipssss with its high no-grill front end and my mostly freeway driving.
but Ceramic coating will not have enough protection against stone chip and daily parking log abuses.

However, pre-cut warp will not fully cover the corners and gaps of the panel like custom hand-cutter warp. There is around 3mm un-covered area near the panel gap.
That's the disadvantage of choosing pre-cut but knowing there will be no cutter mark on paint.

There are paint defects when I picked up my X, but don't know when are service center going to fix them, so I go ahead to warp it first, and rewarp the paint defect part later if necessary.

Service from the warp shop is good so far but I haven't pick up my car yet, will post more once I got my car back.

View attachment 214559

View attachment 214558
How was the job done?

View attachment 214559

View attachment 214558

I'm very interested to know as well. $20 something k seems to be very reasonable

I also got mine done at Autoever. Great service from Alex - well worth the money. Either way, highly recommend people do seatbacks at a minimum. I wasn't able to schedule a wrap appointment right after delivery; I managed to chip one of the seatbacks within a week.

View attachment 214559

View attachment 214558
Hi, do you have the contact details of the place you went to? Thanks!

Hi, do you have the contact details of the place you went to? Thanks!

I believe he is referring to wrappro as per the photo attached. Also their webpage shows offer of about 21k valid till 31 March. Their full style as below.

upload_2017-3-22_15-16-20.pngShop D, G/F, Tsuen Wan Industrial Building, 220-248 Texaco Road, Tsuen Wan
Tsuen Wan 0000

Wrappro

I did contact them earlier. They have three different type of materials to offer.

OEM
Suntek
Xpel

Price range from 21-26k. Xpel is the most expensive (same materiel used by autoever).

This price includes full wrap plus seatbacks.

Reactions: saichinli
I went with XPEL for the front and 3 year ceramic coating throughout. Alex from Autoever was extremely helpful and even showed up during my delivery with a special flashlight to check up on the paint.

Alex is also tinting all side/back windows and installing front and rear camera. Picking up my X tomorrow but so far highly recommended.

Ken

Reactions: mkq786
I went with XPEL for the front and 3 year ceramic coating throughout. Alex from Autoever was extremely helpful and even showed up during my delivery with a special flashlight to check up on the paint.

Alex is also tinting all side/back windows and installing front and rear camera. Picking up my X tomorrow but so far highly recommended.

Ken

Where did u do ceramic coating as Alex only does PPF? I checked around and everyone is using different quality/type of products but they all claim 9h standard.