Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection for New Tesla 3 in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Finally I ordered my Tesla 3 long range with estimated delivery in Nov. Can’t explain how excited we are.

I have started exploring paint protection options for my car.

I used to use companies like Diamondbrite for paint protection for my current Mercedes.

But I see here people talking about PPF for Tesla which is quite expensive than Diamondbrite like products.

I read some benefits of using PPF over other products but not able to convince myself to pay such large difference if I am missing something here.

Would you be able to advice on less expensive products like Diamondbrite for Tesla if anyone has used here over PPF.

Regards,
JM

PPF and Diamondbrite, otherwise known as Ceramic Coating, are two completely different animals that have been discussed many many times on here.

The short version is, Ceramic Coating will help protect the paint from the environment, make the car easier to clean and keep it looking nice, but it will do NOTHING to protect against stone chips, car park scratches and stuff like that.

PPF is mainly there to protect the car from these things. I picked up 2 tiny stone chips driving 30 miles after I picked the car up to go and get my PPF fitted, so since then I can only imagine how much damage it has protected me from.

That said, its not everyones cup of tea so my recommendation would be do more research and check out the many threads on here alone, about PPF vs Ceramic Coatings.

Reactions: init6
PPF and Diamondbrite, otherwise known as Ceramic Coating, are two completely different animals that have been discussed many many times on here.

The short version is, Ceramic Coating will help protect the paint from the environment, make the car easier to clean and keep it looking nice, but it will do NOTHING to protect against stone chips, car park scratches and stuff like that.

PPF is mainly there to protect the car from these things. I picked up 2 tiny stone chips driving 30 miles after I picked the car up to go and get my PPF fitted, so since then I can only imagine how much damage it has protected me from.

That said, its not everyones cup of tea so my recommendation would be do more research and check out the many threads on here alone, about PPF vs Ceramic Coatings.
I went for both ceramic and ppf, expensive but ppf has protected mine for 12 months with no stone chips, while the ceramic coating locked in the shine.
I do intend to keep the car until the Berlin version becomes available, so a long term investment.

I went for both ceramic and ppf, expensive but ppf has protected mine for 12 months with no stone chips, while the ceramic coating locked in the shine.
It’s the way forward if you can do it. I’m leasing so a full PPF is out. I’ll prob end up with the good old fashioned wax tbh. Have played with ceramic in the past but always just come back to using wax. I enjoy the whole cleaning the car and giving it a full detail every so often. Hardest bit when it arrives next week will be restraining from driving it until I’ve detailed it 🤣

Reactions: init6
I considered, but the cost model for PPF simple wasn't there. About £4K to fit it, then when you do get damage due to stones you'll pay £K more to replace that section otherwise it looks like a poor job with sticky back plastic on a french text book.

Take the hits, if it's tiny touchup, anything bigger get a ChipsAway type fix. After 2 years I've used the touchup paint 3 times, each time for something less than a mm in diameter.

I do have a ceramic coating, but that's just for looks and to ensure all the rain forms beads that dry leaving a ring rather than just running off.

You can get limited areas ppf'd - we got our sills fully protected as that is the area that gets shot blasted when you drive. It was not very expensive and will be a lot cheaper than having to get that area touched up in the future. Even with mud flaps, that area still gets a blasting. For those needing to return the car in future, the smaller areas are easy and quick to remove if needing to return back to stock condition.

You can get limited areas ppf'd - we got our sills fully protected as that is the area that gets shot blasted when you drive. It was not very expensive and will be a lot cheaper than having to get that area touched up in the future. Even with mud flaps, that area still gets a blasting. For those needing to return the car in future, the smaller areas are easy and quick to remove if needing to return back to stock condition.
I've not had any issue with my sills, or rear quarters for 20K miles. I have a feeling my black paint might be thicker than some other cars though, certainly no thinner patches even in door hinges etc. I didn't have any mudflaps until Tesla sent them out, and I only fitted the smaller front section (as the flaps dragged on the ground).

I had a partial ppf, front bumper, bonnet, headlights, wing mirrors, front wings, A pillar, sills & bottom of all doors to the feature line, front face of rear wheel arches & top edge of rear bumper below boot lip, cost 2k with 10 yr warranty, carried out by the experts in Telford.
Not a mark as yet after 12 months & 10k miles.

Reactions: hairysteve