TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Paint Protection in Charlotte area?

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by leilanimunter, Aug 8, 2013.

1. leilanimunter

leilanimunter Member

Any recommendations? Thanks.

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Thinking of a wrap or something like OptiCoat???

3. leilanimunter

leilanimunter Member

not a wrap, just the clear film protection - like what Tesla does but on the whole car rather than just partial. any advice would be great, thanks!

4. JPP

JPP Active Member

I'm only asking because I am not a fan of protective film but I did just get my S85 OptiCoated by a professional--basically a very thick ceramic based clear coat finish. No seams, no lines.

5. leilanimunter

leilanimunter Member

Do you have a link with more info? Is that a big difference in price from the Paint Armor Tesla offers?

6. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

You might want to check out XPEL Ultimate. There are a bunch of threads about it, like this one:

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor - Page 32

I am going to get it done when my Model S comes into Rockville, MD by an installer that has done 60+ Model S's. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone to recommend in Charlotte.

7. JPP

JPP Active Member

FWIW, Joe @ Orinda Auto Detail just finished working on my multi-coat red (3 months old) on Saturday. Took him a day-and-a-half on what I thought was a pretty good paint finish to prep it and apply OptiCoat Pro to everything (including wheels-he dismounts them to do the back sides, all plastic and all glass--different products). It turns out that there were lots of small rubs and scratches. The car now looks truly fabulous, and I know that I now have a thick 'clear coat' to protect the otherwise very soft environmentally friendly low VOC CA compliant paint. The time involved is to properly 'perfect' the finish without removing lots of clear coat/paint. More polishing is not better, especially if you (or your 'professional') does not know what he/she is doing. I am not a paid shill, just a very happy customer. He is not cheap ($350 for full detail and prep, $300 for complete OptiCoat Pro on everything), but given the cost of my investment and the length of time I plan to drive it, I consider it good value. Side note--at any one time he has 3 Model S in his shop for him to attend to (in the East Bay of SF). He maybe has worked on 60+ Model S. And he is very willing to find you a colleague in your geographic area (if he can). Check out this post on the TM site:

Tesla Model S full correction and Opti Coat by Orinda Auto Detail | Forums | Tesla Motors

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

You guys are great. :)

9. leilanimunter

leilanimunter Member

#9 leilanimunter, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Now my question is - which is better Opti Coat or Xpel Paint Film? In this thread someone makes the comment:

"a coating like Opti-Guard applied to the clear coat. Not as tough as paint film, but harder than the factory clear."

Thinking about doing without the paint armor. | Forums | Tesla Motors

So I am assuming the Xpel is tougher than the Opti Coat? Also, here there is a guy who did Xpel on his black Model S and says he loves it

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor - Page 35

So far from what I am reading it sounds like Xpel is the way to go...

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

11. JPP

JPP Active Member

FWIW, my detailer Joe says that there is a longer track record/experience with OptiCoat than Xpel, which is why he prefers it. Does not mean that Xpel might not be better. You can e-mail him and ask...

12. leilanimunter

leilanimunter Member

Thanks for all the tips on this everyone! I have decided to go with the XPEL Ultimate. Everyone I have talked to loves it, especially the self correcting property of it. Hopefully it will do everything it says it will!

13. ManishP

ManishP Member

After months of kicking tires, debating, and perusing through this site, I finally ordered my "baby" which will be delivered next week. Were you able to find a good (reputable) installer for XPEL in Charlotte?

14. leilanimunter

leilanimunter Member

I had mine done at Pro Tint in Kannapolis, just north of the speedway. Full wrap in Xpel Ultimate and tinted the windows with PhotoSync 45. Nice guys and they did a good job.

15. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought I would continue the conversation here rather than start a separate thread. How has Pro Tint's installation held up? Kannapolis is not far at all, though I see they have a location near Uptown as well (much closer to me). That said, I will cast the web wider - any other recommendations for installers in the area? Personally, I am thinking of doing XPEL Ultimate + OptiCoat or cQuartz, but it would depend on the overall cost. I would also be looking into a ceramic tint. Thanks in advance everyone!

16. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    I still have done nothing for my MC Red P85D but want to do something soon. I will be in Charlotte soon with my car so I wonder about ProTint for Xpel Ultimate + OptiCoat Pro. I find it hard to decide. Cyclone, when you decide please let me know by PM or post. I am debating about following your lead and doing this in Charlotte.

17. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Mine gets a bit complicated. I am buying a CPO car that came with factory Paint Armor. I probably will want to bring it in to someone to see if it has already gotten OptiCoat or just do a general assessment of 2 year old paint and tint options - with the possibility that it has already been done.

18. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

This Friday (5/1), the Charlotte Tesla Owners group is meeting at the Charlotte Supercharger at 11:30, followed by lunch at House of Leng. I plan to ask the people that show up then about their recommendations.

19. jsaccio

jsaccio Member

How do I join the Charlotte Tesla Club? thx, joe

20. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Joe, it's on Facebook. The group name is "Tesla Owners Charlotte". We meet every first Friday of the month at the Supercharger for lunch. I've only met a few people in it, but they have all been a great crowd and it's exciting to hear each other's experiences with the car!