TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Paint protection options

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chronopc, Aug 31, 2017.

1. chronopc

chronopc Member

I am thinking about investing in a paint protection for the Model 3. What are some options and relative prices?

2. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

#2 tracksyde, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Here's a thread where paint protection was discussed

Paint Protection Films

I think the front bumper definitely needs paint protection. That lower duck bill will probably catch a lot of rocks.

• Helpful x 1
  3. 03DSG

03DSG Member

Its more about the installer than about the film however 3M or XPel are highly recommended. I would only use a shop that only does PPF, nothing else. lts really important that all the edges get wrapped.

• Helpful x 1
  4. kev1n

kev1n Member

dont go with pre-cut film either

id personally wrap the whole front end, front bumper,hood,fenders but the cheaper option would be just full front bumper, partial hood/fenders

5. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

Strongly endorse Xpel after having two cars done....known for self-healing, resistance to yellowing, warranty.

6. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

If anybody who has responded to this thread care to also include the COST for what they got done, this would help answer the other half of his question....and mine :)

7. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

For half hood and fenders, full fascia, headlamps, fog lamps, mirror caps, I paid $1,100 both times.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. Sawyer8888

Sawyer8888 Member

A full Xpel wrap on my MS ran $6K. I believe this is toward the higher end, but the installer will replace any one panel for free if needed. A majority of the cost goes toward the front panels.

I do a lot of highway driving and in the five months since being applied, I have taken some small hits that have pierced the wrap and dug into the paint. There's two on the hood and one on the bumper.

Keeping the car clean is very easy because you don't have to baby the exterior when washing.

I'll continue to take some dings from time to time (I was hoping for better protection), but there won't be any swirls and cleaning will always be easy.

9. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

i paid $1450 for full front xpel wrap minus a-pillar. Look around, there some deal to be had.

10. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

I'm debating whether or not to get a color other than black and then a clear PPF over it or to just get black and apply the $1K to offset a wrap in a color of my choice.
    What, if any, is the difference between getting a clear PPF vs a wrap to change the color of your car?
    Does the wrap also serve as a PPF, is it just colored PPF?
    Is there much of a cost difference?
    Does one last longer than other?

11. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

DIY
    paying $1500-2500 for coatings IMO is a waste of $
    you can get almost identical protection spending 3-4 hours on your car every 6 months for products you can buy yourself

• Disagree x 1
  12. XPEL

XPEL Vendor

We would like to say thank you to all those that use our film.

chronopc,

First off, congratulations on your new Model 3. The front end of the Model 3 is definitely a magnet for rocks as there is no grille. This feature gives the car a higher chance of getting rock chips. With that being said we recommend all the high impact areas for a Tesla which include the entire hood, front bumper, fenders, mirrors, and the headlights. A full front kit like this will usually run between $1,895 and $2,195 depending on your location and the installer you take it to. Like 03DSG mentioned, getting the edges wrapped is a nice touch as it hides the edge of the film. I have provided a link to find local installers in your area. This will give you an idea of shops close to you so you can get your Model 3 protected as soon as possible.

We hope this information is helpful, and we would be glad to be of assistance to any more questions.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

Which products are you recommending for protecting against stone chips? None of the waxes, sealants, etc. I have ever tried/know of have any stone chip protection effect. It's just a shinier chip of paint which goes flying off.

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

for starters

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating 30cc

15. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

#15 Sportstick, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    I've used both OptiCoat and CQuartz on two current cars, so familiar with this level of protection. Here is the quote from Wolfgang's site:

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating protects against wash-induced swirl marks, oxidation, bug stains, road salt, water spots, and bird droppings.

No mention of stone chips. That's the key benefit of film which all the coatings and waxes I've ever known don't address.

16. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I'm leaning towards a couple of bucks for a good wax and a wagon full of elbow grease (free-kinda :)) 3 or 4 times a year and settling on the car looking great but not perfect.

• Like x 2
  17. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

What ROI do you expect on your investment?

18. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

cross posted from other PPF thread, but relevant:

I have a Nissan Altima daily driver with 180K miles on it. It looks quite amazing. Sure you can find some little chips on the front, but I think it looks like it might have 50K miles on it (IMO). Anyhoo, it's approaching it's end of life for me and the paint has held up just fine. While it is garage kept and I have it clayed and waxed twice a year, I think this is what I expect from a paint job. I think I will just roll the dice on the Model 3 and if it looks worse sooner, I will take the money I could have spent on the protective coatings and just have the car vinyl wrapped and effectively get a new paint job! Just sharing my thoughts (clearly not in line with everybody!) ....

19. Justmurr

Justmurr Member

I'm also thinking about a wrap... I want the matte black full wrap, I assume it to be at least $2k or more.
    I'm not sure how wraps handle the seasons, mine would be garage kept but used daily.
    Time to start researching...

20. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

Tesla paint is much softer than what you get from Nissan. They chip super easily. Also it heavily depends on if your highway has a lot of debris or not.