Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"They said new cars use water based paint where as my 13 year old Volvo didn't. I guess the implication is water based paint is not as durable as oil?"

My impression is that water based paint are industry standard now because of air pollution regulations. Not a Tesla thing.

Reactions: Stirfelt
"They said new cars use water based paint where as my 13 year old Volvo didn't. I guess the implication is water based paint is not as durable as oil?"

My impression is that water based paint are industry standard now because of air pollution regulations. Not a Tesla thing.

Correct, most manufacturers use water-based. But unless things have changed, only the primers and base(colour) coat is water based, the clear coat which is what provides the chemical resistance and hardness of the final finished paint is still solvent based and full of nasty chemicals.

The big difference between what a repair shop uses and what a production line uses is that production line clearcoat has the hardener already mixed in and it is activated by the temperature in the bake oven (it's a naked chassis at this stage) . Repair shops can't bake a complete car with interior etc at a high enough temp for this so they mixer in different hardeners that work at lower temps.

I really don't care. I want my vehicles looking as good as they can for as long as they can. They cost a lot. Call it pride of ownership or whatever you want. I probably only have a couple left in my lifetime. If you don't want it don't do it. Why question others decisions?

I wasn't. I'm justifying the car with similar reasoning. It just bothers me that people keep saying they are investing in this or that, mostly to rationalize the spending. None of this is an investment. Just own that you want an expensive toy.

I wasn't. I'm justifying the car with similar reasoning. It just bothers me that people keep saying they are investing in this or that, mostly to rationalize the spending. None of this is an investment. Just own that you want an expensive toy.

Own it? Expensive toy? Why? Any car is and most likely always will be a depreciating asset. It's not a toy. It's transportation. And imo far better than gas. The expensive investment I'm making is just not in the car itself but in Tesla's mission. Cost more than my last car, yes. Worth it to me absolutely. We all get to pick where we spend our money.
My expensive toy was the '03 Supercharged Mustang SVT Cobra in my aviator that with mods including a roll cage, 5 point harnesses, chassis bracing, brake cooling ducts, diff cooler, and way too much more to mention cost more than a S75D I CDN. Totally a toy. 70 or so track days and worth every penny. Sold to a track bud when my cardiologist said no more :( Took that money and bought a new Harley:)

Reactions: C141medic
It just bothers me that people keep saying they are investing in this or that, mostly to rationalize the spending. None of this is an investment. Just own that you want an expensive toy.
It is unfortunate that it bothers you personally because it doesn't seem to bother everybody. It is not a toy but a tool, and I own a lot of expensive tools. And as far as rationalizing spending, I spend more each year on foolish pleasures than I will spend on my Tesla.

Let's just say I think it is an investment because:
- I am investing in my personal pleasure and happiness by driving a car that can look pristine with the proper care/options, 5-10-15-20 years from now.
- I am investing in the well-being of our prodigy for the future.
- I am investing in leaving the world a better place than I inherited
- I am investing in something I believe in even though it may have no immediate ROI for me.

We are on the threshold of a revolution in an entirely new mode of personal mass transportation. Time to stop thinking about 20thC concepts and embrace the brave new world of the 21stC.

I've been going back and forth on this... I'm planning on xpel the front hood, since it looks like a rock and bug trap. Then diy ceramic coating on the rest of the car, to keep that black paint swirl free

Last edited:
Reactions: Justmurr
I've been going back and forth on this... I'm planning on xpel the front hood, since it looks like a rock and bug trap. Then diy ceramic coating on the rest of the car, to keep that black paint swirl free

I had nothing on my 2013. Ended up with chips and marks on the hood and front wheel piece. Suggest getting PPF on entire front. Coating over it and rest of vehicle for paint protection from elements and birds and to keep sparkley.

I only had the front fascia and lower 1/3 of the hood wrapped in 3M clear film on my 2006 Infiniti G35 (which the Model 3 will be replacing). I've got MANY rock chips on the rest of the hood and tops of the front fenders. I seriously regret not wrapping at least the entire front end, as I'm someone who takes as good of care of my cars as possible.

I won't be making the same mistake on my Model 3.

Reactions: Bonlaw
I only had the front fascia and lower 1/3 of the hood wrapped in 3M clear film on my 2006 Infiniti G35 (which the Model 3 will be replacing). I've got MANY rock chips on the rest of the hood and tops of the front fenders. I seriously regret not wrapping at least the entire front end, as I'm someone who takes as good of care of my cars as possible.

I won't be making the same mistake on my Model 3.

I agree. Total front end/full hood for sure plus headlights. Front end is really low and that flat face is going take some hits.

I am leaning towards a full wrap, if I can afford it. I think the blue color would look great in the satin finish of an XPEL stealth wrap.
I don't think I can afford a wrap...which is why I'm thinking of dipping to the matte/satin look. I know you get the texture issues with dips from a few years back but maybe they are better now with the gloss and pearl finishes. I still see that option as something I can DIY.