Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I can afford a wrap...which is why I'm thinking of dipping to the matte/satin look. I know you get the texture issues with dips from a few years back but maybe they are better now with the gloss and pearl finishes. I still see that option as something I can DIY.

A few years ago a guy dipped his car copper and black to look like a Duracell battery. Go for it!

Attachments

• IMG_1872.jpg
    IMG_1872.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 173
I've kind of waffled here. I'm now leaning towards XPEL the entire front of the model 3. I don't know how I'll afford to do it, but I think it would be a good choice for me. I have been reading LOTS about wash and wax products. I kind of decided to start using ONR as often as possible and some sort of follow up spray on wax (optimum or meguiars), maybe use Klasse... but then I noticed that all the forum threads that I have been reading were like 10 years old! Anyone have some good suggestions for easy to use finishing sealants? Or are these products still recommended?

I have successfully used OptiCoat Pro and CQuartz over XPEL film. No waxing needed after that. I use a spray-on sealant from Adam's....H20 Guard and Gloss....quite easy (spray on the wet car, and then dry with microfiber cloth) and adds a slick, shiny quality to the surface, which is actually being more fully protected by the OC or CQ (whichever you choose). The Guard and Gloss lasts several weeks to a couple of months.

@Sportstick that is the strategy that I am going to be using. Front end of the car with XPEL then apply OptiCoat on the entire car to keep it shiny. Does the OptiCoat provide an ever lasting shine or do I have to reapply again a few years later?

They claim 5 years. Keep in mind, OptiCoat will keep the appearance, but does not provide the "touch" you may want. If you like the slick, slippery, glass-like feel, the spray on sealant I mentioned does a great job, and is very easy after a car wash. I have no data on this, but I would think the sealant also provides some level of protection for the OC, perhaps enhancing longevity.

I installed SunTek Ultra (new 10 yr Warrenty) and it ran $4k for the entire car (Model S)
worth every penny. I had a fender bender and all I had to do was replace the PPF in that area. I and out in an hour vs having to do the whole repaint body shop process. Time is money

They claim 5 years. Keep in mind, OptiCoat will keep the appearance, but does not provide the "touch" you may want. If you like the slick, slippery, glass-like feel, the spray on sealant I mentioned does a great job, and is very easy after a car wash. I have no data on this, but I would think the sealant also provides some level of protection for the OC, perhaps enhancing longevity.

Actually, OptiGloss applied over OptiCoat does have a nice 'hand feel'...

I installed SunTek Ultra (new 10 yr Warrenty) and it ran $4k for the entire car (Model S)
worth every penny. I had a fender bender and all I had to do was replace the PPF in that area. I and out in an hour vs having to do the whole repaint body shop process. Time is money
Time is more valuable than money. Especially the time you get to spend with your love ones & doing what you love. Ppf saved this customer time, money, & from aggravation ...

Paint Protection on Instagram: “Another AMAZED customer! Bumper impact☹️ Paint protection film scuffed Paint no damage No cost film replacement Customer ECSTATIC…”

Or this is an option

Paint Protection on Instagram: “PPF alternative.... PPW=paint protection whatever. However it takes for a peace of mind so he can sleep at night . . . . . #Ppf . . . . .…”