Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection: PPF or Ceramic or both?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking up a Red Model 3 SR+ next week and got a quote on paint protection. Not sure what to do.
Canadian dollar
$2k Avery PPF front areas, (front end areas hood, bumper, Side mirrors)
$1k for Ceramic Pro 9H and Ceramic Pro Top Coat (Light).
Or do both as some advise but the cost is much more than budget.
Thoughts?

from socal: I've been very happy with Opticoat Pro (ceramic) - of course our weather (sunny) is prob different than vancouver (snow?). I don't have any rock chips as far as I can tell either. Many of my friends did the PPF but I'm happy with the ceramic coating - and I wash the car at an automatic brushless carwash too. (40K miles, model s). I used ultimate shield in orange, ca - they are great!

I'm picking up a Red Model 3 SR+ next week and got a quote on paint protection. Not sure what to do.
Canadian dollar
$2k Avery PPF front areas, (front end areas hood, bumper, Side mirrors)
$1k for Ceramic Pro 9H and Ceramic Pro Top Coat (Light).
Or do both as some advise but the cost is much more than budget.
Thoughts?
Hey man!

I work for a vinyl, ceramic, and PPF shop in Langley, BC. I can certainly see if I can get you a better price on PPF. I'd recommend what the guys said above and start out with as much PPF protection as you can afford, and then move on to ceramic on top after if you'd like.

Send me a message if you want some quotes!

Cheers

BTW, this is the video that convinced me to get PPF. PPF has self-healing properties. If your paint gets scratched, the top layer of the film, when heated by the sun, hot water, or a heat gun, will "heal" and the scratch will completely disappear. Check out 1:20 or so in the video. This is the moment the guy purposely scratches his paint with a metal brush. He then shows how the PPF self heals and the scratch disappears. Ceramic coatings, although helpful, do NOT have self healing properties. That is why I would prioritize the PPF over the ceramic coating.

Reactions: Wyman
Hey man!

I work for a vinyl, ceramic, and PPF shop in Langley, BC. I can certainly see if I can get you a better price on PPF. I'd recommend what the guys said above and start out with as much PPF protection as you can afford, and then move on to ceramic on top after if you'd like.

Send me a message if you want some quotes!

Cheers
I just sent you a message. Let's connect.

Bjorn Nyland getting his PPF on his P3. These guys do a good job.

Given the driving I've seen Bjorn do with his previous cars and even his new one, I think he sent it into a snow bank on a winter track course recently (almost broke off front bumper), I have to wonder how long it will be until he needs to replace the PPF panels. But maybe he's mellowed out some in what he's tackling with his cars. Gotta have some expense repairs in the past.

BTW, this is the video that convinced me to get PPF. PPF has self-healing properties. If your paint gets scratched, the top layer of the film, when heated by the sun, hot water, or a heat gun, will "heal" and the scratch will completely disappear. Check out 1:20 or so in the video. This is the moment the guy purposely scratches his paint with a metal brush. He then shows how the PPF self heals and the scratch disappears. Ceramic coatings, although helpful, do NOT have self healing properties. That is why I would prioritize the PPF over the ceramic coating.

Yes, two different kinds of paint protection. The thickness of the film (it does come in various thicknesses...and proportional pricing by thickness) will help guard againt scratches to the paint. Also some protection from bird drops etching the paint although those can still etch the film if left on too long. Which is why people will still add on top of their PPF...Ceramic coating, which hardens on the surface but only provides some ease of use in keeping the surface clean. Things like bird poop can be more readily cleaned off. Also ceramic eaves a nice shine on the car when cleaned. There are different levels of application...and pricing to match of course.

We had both on my Model 3 after I got it. My husband had originally purchased PPF for his MS when he got it but after seeing my car with it, had ceramic applied on top of his PPF like a year later.

I went for just ceramic (Opti-coat pro and opti-glass). It's significantly cheaper than PPF. It makes the car shine, is incredibly easy to clean, and more resilient to chemical erosion (e.g. bird droppings), and so despite 10k miles a quick wash gets it looking as good as new. I've seen PPF look dreadful after a few years; The self-healing only goes so far. Rock chips can be touched up by a detailer, and the ceramic coating can be reapplied later if needed. The combination of the two is powerful, but I far prefer just ceramic on its own. Of course, if you plan on giving you car a totally new look, with different color, or finish (e.g. matte), PPF comes into its own.

I went for just ceramic (Opti-coat pro and opti-glass). It's significantly cheaper than PPF. It makes the car shine, is incredibly easy to clean, and more resilient to chemical erosion (e.g. bird droppings), and so despite 10k miles a quick wash gets it looking as good as new. I've seen PPF look dreadful after a few years; The self-healing only goes so far. Rock chips can be touched up by a detailer, and the ceramic coating can be reapplied later if needed. The combination of the two is powerful, but I far prefer just ceramic on its own. Of course, if you plan on giving you car a totally new look, with different color, or finish (e.g. matte), PPF comes into its own.

I agree with you that ceramic is cheaper. But PPF provides much stronger protection compared to ceramic alone. As for PPF looking "dreadful" after a few years, keep in mind that advances in PPF have come a long way. The latest PPFs on the market are more durable than the original ones. Also most PPFs come with a very substantial warranty. For example, I went with Xpel in part because it comes with a 10 year warranty. The installer said that Xpel really stands behind their product and, if any of the PPF on my car discolors, tears, or otherwise looks bad, Xpel will replace it at no cost to me.

If you want the best value and you don't mind fixing rock chips with touch up paint, then ceramic is fine. But if you want scratch and swirl free paint and the most protection available (and you don't mind the additional expense), go with PPF.

I would add most of the lower portion of your new M3. Here is my M3 performance after one winter where the county started using rocks to help with the road ice. Tesla says it is an environmental issue. County says they don't have to pay. Insurance says it wasn't all at once so they don't have to pay. Get good PPF on the lower portion of the car.

Tesla Rock Chips.Smaller.png

I would add most of the lower portion of your new M3. Here is my M3 performance after one winter where the county started using rocks to help with the road ice. Tesla says it is an environmental issue. County says they don't have to pay. Insurance says it wasn't all at once so they don't have to pay. Get good PPF on the lower portion of the car.

Yikes - that's terrible this happened to your car.....