TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Paint Protection WORKS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by roblab, Mar 15, 2016.

1. roblab

roblab Active Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Angwin (Napa Valley) CA
    Just had an eye opening experience that I wanted to share.

We have a steel bridge near us that we use regularly. It's the kind where the beams and triangulation are above the roadway, and it's old, so it's narrow. You drive up onto it to cross the Napa River, hopefully don't meet traffic, then down on the other end.

I was driving across at about 30 mph, when at the other end, a pickup pops up and onto his end of the bridge. Mentally, I know I can pass him, but it's tight-ish. I'm fine until just as he passes me, and I involuntarily twitch away from his truck -- and my passenger mirror WHACKs into the girder uprights. Ouch. The mirror flicks back to it's folded position so fast that the glass pops out, hits the window, and splinters, but is held together by the backing.

I get out to check the damage. The mirror housing looks terrible, horribly scratched, old silver paint streaked along, ripped surface. I beat myself to death until I get home and can look at it. I remember I had the mirror housings covered with 3M PPF. I find an edge, and pull it off. It's thicker than I imagined, and really stuck on. But it comes off. The scratches seem to be all in the plastic, so after the film is mostly off, I gently work and rub the plastic remains off the cover.

Remarkably, the painted cover is not dented, not scratched, not damaged. All I need is a new glass replacement, and they just snap in. And I plan to get a new PPF installed on this mirror!:)
  2. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Sep 2, 2014
    Southern Connecticut
    Thanks for sharing... I am bringing the new S in for Xpel wrapping tomorrow...
  3. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

Jan 16, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Wow. Great story. Hope XPEL works just as good. My windshield has a 6 inch crack in it and I have to take it to the service center today for replacement. There is a tiny impact point just next to the A pillar in the left and the crack is getting bigger going sideways. I only have an OptiCoat layer on it... My detailer is going to recoat it once the new windshield is in.
  4. SΞXY P100D

SΞXY P100D Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Anyone know of a reputable PPF installer in northern/central New Jersey? Seems like Clearguard Nano is currently the best PPF out there, but I can't seem to find a list of certified installers. Thanks in advance.