Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked a local dealer of three products for a quote and he basically said if I was not going to wash it at least one every other week then none of the coatings will do me any good and I would be better off just paying for a monthly hand wash and wax.

Wanted to get thoughts of those that have one of the coatings and how often you wash your car.

Thanks

Are you talking about ‘coatings’ (Opticoat and the like) or PPF (Xpel, Suntek)? Total different things... One makes it easier to wash and gives some protection, the other really protects your paint, whether or not you think it’s ‘softer’ or not (a debate on that...).

Lots of threads here and elsewhere, but summary is: Coatings will wear off and need to be reapplied perhaps annually, and PPF (Paint Protection Film(s)) last many years. (Getting Suntek myself, at the recommendation of my installer, who says it’s easier to wrap around corners.)

Was talking about coatings like opticoat, I am being realistic in the fact that I will not be washing the car every other week, and don't want to waste money on a coating if I need to wash the car with their car wash products for it to last.

My old Honda Accord had cilajet and that seemed to keep it looking clean without any effort on my part (and I even used the dreaded carwash on it).

I want the car to look good, but really no time to wash it myself.