Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Quality on Pick Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

How was the paintwork of your MS on pick up? I've had bad experiences with new cars before with swirls and scratches in the paintwork due to a poor effort by the supplying dealer. Do I need to worry about this with Tesla?

Don't know if I'd be safer taking my new 85D away from them unprepped and getting it independently detailed?

I'm picking up from Tesla Birmingham and would appreciate any first-hand experiences, particularly who has recently picked up from Birmingham.

Thanks!

Mine was fine, but many take the car straight to a detailer to protect the paint anyway. Some detailers have said paint is perfect and some have said the high power lights show some scratches. I reckon having it un-prepped is OTT, better for it to be sparkling and for you to run your eye over it for obvious blemishes, plus picking up a gleaming car is more enjoyable.

Be aware that the first month is when you will get the worst stone chips whilst the paint is still curing - I got lots in first month and nothing much since, but I do a lot of miles and mainly motorways.

Picked up my red model S from Birmingham on Wednesday. It is currently being detailed. I made a point of not touching it after collection, and the detailer has found quite a few sanding marks which he is polishing out.
He also showed me a picture of a new Porsche Cayenne which had much worse paintwork!
s_detailing.jpg

These were thought to have been put in at the factory (three months ago), not at the dealership, and are only visible under v.bright lights.
So yes, an independant detailer would be worth using, at least once.

Thanks for the replies.
@bryand those swirls look a bit of a nightmare, although as you say, the bright light is highlighting them more than normal....be interested to get a post-detail update from you.
In the meantime, Birmingham have promised to lavish extra attention, so watch this space!

looks lovely.
I picked up my 70d from Birmingham today. Considering it was ex-demo ~3.5k miles, it had almost no marks on it. certainly nothing a good polish wouldn't get out. they did replace the front bumper though due to 'damage'. also I noted there was a very slight scuff (probably would buff out) on a wheel arch...they said they would respray it at a later date of my choosing.... good service imo.

otherwise paint has only a veryslight orange peel to it but is up there with the quality of top car brands in my opinion

Needn't have worried (phew!).... paintwork was in great condition and I've now treated it to a home detail with Gtechniq products! Looks fab!

The only major issue I've had is grit in the window mechanism which caused scratches on the rear door glass when opened. The glass was changed on a waiting appointment just a couple of days after I made the call to Birmingham Store. They also checked all the other windows.

On further examination there is still grit in the narrow rain gutter on each side up on the roof which I'm planning to carefully extract with the next watch.

Apparently the grit is a side effect of the car shell being exposed to some serious elements after being made and stored in California, then shipped, then stored, then assembled, then shipped again!

• Informative
Reactions: cheshire cat