Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint quality question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the excuse, but I think Tesla's paint is just poor quality.

I have a buddy who does a side business detailing cars in SLC and has about 20 Teslas in the fleet that he details at least a couple of times a year.

He loves Teslas but he says Tesla paint is not very good... especially compared to other cars built in the US like Honda/Toyota/Ford/GM.

I can't recall if he complained that it was too soft or that it was too brittle but he said the paint is among the worst he's seen, especially for the high price of the cars.

I have a buddy who does a side business detailing cars in SLC and has about 20 Teslas in the fleet that he details at least a couple of times a year.

He loves Teslas but he says Tesla paint is not very good... especially compared to other cars built in the US like Honda/Toyota/Ford/GM.

I can't recall if he complained that it was too soft or that it was too brittle but he said the paint is among the worst he's seen, especially for the high price of the cars.

Had he done any work on Infiniti? Asking for reference if one or the other is worse. Either way, I'm significantly lowering my paint expectations. :(

Had he done any work on Infiniti? Asking for reference if one or the other is worse. Either way, I'm significantly lowering my paint expectations. :(

I'm not sure. He started this as a hobby when he bought a relatively new truck with damaged paint and he learned all of the techniques for doing paint correction.

Then some local doctor with 3 Teslas hired him and soon Teslas became kind of his specialty.

He really digs Teslas but says their paint quality is pretty bad.

Reactions: David99
Someone said that there is only one coat of black paint on a Tesla Model 3 but there are 6-7 coats if I picked the other color. Os it true? I don't want to pay another $1,000 for a paint color other than the standard black but I may have to and maybe worth it if Tesla paint multilayer of coats in another color.

My recent MS has been at a body shop for 2+ weeks now while they work on paint issues.

I had 5 tiny bubbles in the clear coat and 3 or 4 dimples/dents in the paint. There was also a build up of paint under the passenger door handle and flaws on the driver-side mirror./QUOTE]

My car also has similar issues. Is Tesla taking care of your body shop bill or do you have to pay out of pocket? Are they repainting the whole panel, or just to spot paint blend in?

I didn't have to pay anything. I spoke with the body shop and they mostly just did paint correction stuff, not really repainting. If I look very closely I can still see where the various flaws were, but it is really, really difficult, I can only spot them because I know exactly where they were. They did repaint the front bumper.

I need to take it back in, though. They front bumper alignment is not right, the gaps were better before they worked on it, and in 3 places I can see where the blue painters tape was to mark the flaws. Even after several washes, the outline of the tape is still there, no clue how or why, but they will need to fix it.

No way I'd pay for the work, this is all covered under the warranty.