TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Paint quality upon delivery - Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Effects, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Effects

Effects Member

For those of you that have received your MS, on a scale of 1 - 10 how was the finish quality of the paint? Were there any scratches or swirls? Your overall impressions would be appreciated.

2. highfalutintodd

Paint was perfect. Had some residual schmutz on it from the detailing that wiped right off, but that was the only thing. Absolute perfection otherwise. Score of 10 from me (if 10 is best).

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Would say 8. This was from back in January. Had some swirls and nebulous clouds which Tesla took care of with a full detail during a service visit a few months later.

4. Effects

Effects Member

swirls I get but not sure about nebulous clouds?? Happy to hear they took care of the details.

5. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

#5 Denarius, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  6. caddieo

caddieo Member

I'd call my a 9 since I do not think absolute perfection exists in manufacturing. If there were (are) any swirls, etc., they are hard to detect in a pearl white finish unless you go over it with a magnifying glass - something that is farthest from my mind.

7. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Nine for me. I didn't find any problems but I don't have an educated eye for paint. Plus all the paint is now covered with armour.

9. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

9 for me. I have been very happy with my Black Model S.

10. Tommy

Tommy Member

9 for me as well; I would only give a 10 if the paint was concours quality. To achieve that level would require very skilled detailing and not something I would expect from a mass car manufacturer.

11. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I'd say 9 or 10. Paint was perfect -- looked like glass, no swirls, or scratches. There was a bit of silicone lube on the roof and one of the doors, I assume from whoever lubricated the roof touching the door with still dirty hands. It wiped right off, so no problem. My Tesla T emblem however looked like the chrome was coming off. When I finally got around to going to the service center to see about having it fixed the tech noticed it was just adhesive left over, and cleaned it off. Felt kinda dumb, but it really looked like the chrome plating was pealing!

12. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Paint was perfect. A 10.

The detailing job on top of it was good, but not perfect. A 7 maybe.

13. gnelson

gnelson Member

Paint was perfect except it is soft and needed OptiCoat to protect the clear coat. I didn't notice any swirls. The guy who applied my OptiCoat indicated that he did not need to correct the paint.

14. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I would rate it a 10 (July delivery). I immediately stripped it and Opti-Coated it, so got a very detailed look at the paint. Detailing was a 9--little bit of dried wax in the usual spots--edges of the trunk and frunk.

Omar

15. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Definitely a 10! Received my P85 in MC Red yesterday.

16. JPP

JPP Active Member

Paint was 9 at delivery. But there is a major issue with the paint, due to the fact that Teslas are made in California. Due to the very stringent pollution rules and regs in CA, some paints sold in other states cannot be sold here, some have been reformulated, and some can only be bought in quart cans (...absurd, as I can presumably go to Nevada to buy larger quantities). The CA compliant water based finish that Tesla uses is beautiful but soft, and will scratch easily. I waited over 2 months before seeing a local expert to have it professionally OptiCoated. Even though I was/am meticulous about caring for my car (hand wash only, Griots Garage products), it took my detailer a full day to 'perfect' the paint before applying OptiCoat. Joe @ Orinda Auto Detail actually wishes he could get every Model S from the factory @ delivery before TM does their own in house final polish/wax (he actually asked--not possible). He notes that it is all but impossible to have perfect paint straight out of the paint shop/line as there usually are a few specks of dust, etc which need to be polished out. FWIW, Joe also notes that some folks with other ICE vehicles with really good hard paint finishes (he notes Lexus and Mercedes) will take their vehicles out of state from CA to have body work/paint done since the local CA body shops cannot use the factory original high VOC paints.

My personal recommendation is, if you are not going to add a wrap/film (...I am personally not a fan), get your Model S to your local (and hopefully knowledgable) detailer for some kind of tune-up and paint protection, be it OptiCoat or something else.

YMMV.

17. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'm not sure we can blame this one on CA or even on modern paints. My experience has been that any vehicle with an aerodynamic body just gets more chips than square vehicles. My first aerodynamic vehicle was a 1969 DS-21. It got chips just like a modern aerodynamic car. And I know water based paints weren't used back then :)

18. Effects

Effects Member

If you don't mind telling, how much was paint correction and Opti-Coat? How long ago was it done and what do you notice most about the finish now that it has been done?

19. markb1

markb1 Active Member

The clear coat (on my car, anyway) is abnormally soft. I was very careful about washing it using proper techniques, and I still caused a lot of wash damage. I ended up having a detailer correct the damage and apply CQuartz Finest. Since then, I've noticed a huge reduction in the amount of wash damage. This car definitely needs some sort of protection.

- - - Updated - - -

The detailer I used for CQuartz charged $750, but that only included one step polishing. Heavier paint damage would require a two-step correction process. He charges the same for Opti-Coat, though he recommends CQuartz Finest over Opti-Coat. The CQuartz gives my blue paint a very wet appearance, and it seems to slow down the dust collection. It also darkens the paint slightly. But I've only had it for a month and a half.

20. JPP

JPP Active Member

jerry33--I am not talking about rock chips--I have/had none. I am talking about subtle yet visible scratches from toweling the car after blow drying it.

I had it done 2 weeks ago, almost 3 months after delivery. My professional charged $350 to do the detail/prep (which includes dismounting the wheels to fully clean front & back sides). I did not need heavy polishing or correcting, but he wanted the paint to be perfect. He charged $300 for OptiCoat Pro, which included a heavier coat on impact areas (e.g. hood), the wheels/rims inside & out, plus OptiCoat on the windshield (separate product) and OptiCoat on the lenses/plastic (also a different product), as well as OptiCoat on the black skirt. Note that the Pro stuff is more viscous and sets up much faster, which is why pros can do it, while the 'consumer' version you can buy locally/on line is much thinner and sets up much slower, to give more time to fool with it (?...maybe for the fool to fool with it...).

What I see now is a flawless shiny finish--no rubs or scratches. No color change at all on my multi-coat red. Dirt does not adhere, even to the wheels. Much easier to wash. Note that OptiCoat is 'grabby'. If you are used to claying and waxing your car and enjoy the very slippery feel when running your hand over the body, that is gone. BTW, wax is not necessary or useful with OptiCoat--just rinses off at the next wash. Finish should last 3+ years, and can be tuned up later as necessary.

As far as what product is best (OptiCoat, CQuartz, Xpel, etc), you need to get recommendations and read the forums/blogs and find a professional you can trust. FWIW, my installer has more experience with OptiCoat since it has been around longer than some of the others, and that is what he recommended. He has done 60+ Model S, and got rave reviews, so I felt comfortable.