Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think both white colors look amazing and serve the curved body very well. But to keep it beautiful, you must dedicate some effort in keeping it clean. This depends on your definition of 'clean', as well as your environment (mud/slush/love bugs/...).
Black is a completely different statement. Looks best if kept shiny, too.
Pictures of the Dolphin Grey were a revelation to me. Wow. Best match for the Carbon Grey performance wheels. Should keep the beautiful look even with a certain amount of road dirt on it. Well, no performance for me, though.
My favorite is Sunset Red because it underlines the specialty of this car.
The other colors I cannot judge without seeing them in real life.

I think both white colors look amazing and serve the curved body very well. But to keep it beautiful, you must dedicate some effort in keeping it clean. This depends on your definition of 'clean', as well as your environment (mud/slush/love bugs/...).
Pictures of the Dolphin Grey were a revelation to me. Wow. Best match for the Carbon Grey performance wheels. Should keep the beautiful look even with a certain amount of road dirt on it. Well, no performance for me, though.
My favorite is Sunset Red because it underlines the specialty of this car.
The other colors I cannot judge without seeing them in real life.

I love the Dolphin grey with the perf wheel, and I do plan to get the perf.
But now that I have seen pictures of the sunset red I'm on the fence, and I'm wondering how it would look with perf wheel.

Well, I still have at least 9 month to think about it anyway...:-(

I keep hearing people say that it's hard to keep a white car clean. When I was a kid, it was my responsibility to wash my parents' cars, both of which were white. When I would pull them out of the garage, they would look white. When I finished, they looked brighter white! ;) Unless you live in an area that has very dark dust/soil, my experience both in Texas and in the SF Bay Area is that dust, pollen and water spots tend to be virtually invisible on a white car. Of course, darker stuff will show up, but that seems to be less common.

I did a little experiment by walking through the parking lot of a large company near my work. There were lots of metallic gray cars (I was looking for ones as similar to Dolphin Grey as I could find), and lots of white cars. Upon close inspection, the white cars and the gray cars had roughly equal amounts of dust and grime on them, but from a distance, it was no contest. You could see the dust on the grey cars from 10 feet away, while the white cars just looked white.

I also agree that white on the Model S is a very pretty color. It accentuates the sensuous contours well. Assuming that panel fit is good, I think it will be a knockout. (The white does tend to emphasize any oversized or uneven gaps, though.)

Now, all that said, I still think Dolphin Grey is gorgeous, especially with the Carbon Grey wheels on the Performance models. So, it's a tough call for me between Dolphin Grey and Catalina White. They both looked super at the Get Amped event.

My friends and I all agreed at the Fremont event: the Model S is absolutely, positively stunning in black. It is an utter beauty. The only reason that I would avoid it is that I have never seen a black car that looks good on the street. I parked next to a black Bentley at the grocery today, and I'm sure that car gets hand washed and detailed. You could still see little flecks of dust on it, and (I think) some fibers from the microfiber cloths they probably use to detail it.

Yup, agreed as I said above, although see my comments about dust.

There's a thread about powder coating wheels here on TMC. That's an option if you like that look. Just get the wheels you can get, and have them coated. It's not that expensive, according to somebody who has had it done on another car.

I was hoping some of you paint experts can provide a bit of guidance. If I understand this correctly, the Roadsters have water-based paint and the owners manual states not to use automated car washes. Doesn't the Model S also have water-based paint? Is it more durable, or would it be prudent not to take them to car washes as well? Does the paint armor require any special care?

Thanks.

Larry

I agree with Doug. White cars are much easier to keep clean than dark cars. I'm disappointed there is only white and silver that are light colours.

As far as I know, most modern cars have water based paint. I think the Roadster's recommendation was because the carbon fibre body doesn't bond to the paint all that well. Even if that's not the case, automated car washes are never good if you care about your paint job--regardless of car or type of paint.

Hi Larry,

The event is going to be held in Miami right? Dania Beach was where I reserved the car and they told me it would be in Miami. I am planning to go July 28. You?

Hi,

The Miami store will not be open in time for this event. Even if it was, the Dania Beach location is superior logistically for a test drive event.

Yes, my wife and I will be there on July 28. In fact I have organized a Florida Tesla Motors Club meet-up on that date. You and your girl friend with the Roadster are invited.

If either of you are interested in joining the club, please contact me at [email protected]. For more information, click on my signature.

Larry

Hi,

The Miami store will not be open in time for this event. Even if it was, the Dania Beach location is superior logistically for a test drive event.

Yes, my wife and I will be there on July 28. In fact I have organized a Florida Tesla Motors Club meet-up on that date. You and your girl friend with the Roadster are invited.

If either of you are interested in joining the club, please contact me at [email protected]. For more information, click on my signature.

Larry

My husband and I plan on coming to the event on the 28th. It would be great if it was in Dania Beach as it will be a little closer for us to drive there.

I will email you for more information on the Club. Thanks.