Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint repair of scratches from road debris

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
another garage tip (ive learned over the years. Majority of any small dings, dents, etc on my cars..have seemed to occur within my own garage): Many cut pool noodle type material (or those foam tubes sold at Lowes/Home Depot that insulate pipes) and duct tape sections to the areas of the garage door that could potentially contact the hatch.

I have my limit set as well, but am always worried that after some update, the Y will forget the limit

another garage tip (ive learned over the years. Majority of any small dings, dents, etc on my cars..have seemed to occur within my own garage): Many cut pool noodle type material (or those foam tubes sold at Lowes/Home Depot that insulate pipes) and duct tape sections to the areas of the garage door that could potentially contact the hatch.

I have my limit set as well, but am always worried that after some update, the Y will forget the limit
I set my height limit right after I smashed the garage door.

Now I've run into the hatch 2-3 times since. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't!

I'm leaning towards Tesla touchup paint. Why go 3rd party when you get a more direct match? Also, my chips are so small, I can literally put 2 drops of paint (one on each) and I'll be 90% back to normal.

...or I can just buy the Tesmanian spoiler and cover this whole mess up! lol
The exact same thing happened to me in my parent's garage when I visited them. I have a nice gouge but only a few millimeters long. Tiny in fact. I've taken it now to 5 different body shops. 3 of which are Tesla certified. The estimates have ranged from $700-$1600. The last place I went to suggested touch up paint but he said it won't look perfect. But possibly better than the current scratch. Have you had any luck with touch up paint? And Tesla Touch Up Kit v. Dr. Colorchip v. TouchUpDirect? Thanks.

The exact same thing happened to me in my parent's garage when I visited them. I have a nice gouge but only a few millimeters long. Tiny in fact. I've taken it now to 5 different body shops. 3 of which are Tesla certified. The estimates have ranged from $700-$1600. The last place I went to suggested touch up paint but he said it won't look perfect. But possibly better than the current scratch. Have you had any luck with touch up paint? And Tesla Touch Up Kit v. Dr. Colorchip v. TouchUpDirect? Thanks.
I actually got my Tesla touch up paint kit today and gave it a go. Not terribly impressed with this kit. I think I need to add a few more layers. It’s definitely better that it used to be but only maybe 25-35% less noticeable.

I caught a rock on my driver door as well so I had to touch that up. I think my main issue is I’m getting blending solution into the cracks which is removing the paint.

I’ll add a few more coats to both chips this weekend.

Realistically I’m tempted to get the tesmanian spoiler and cover up the chip on the hatch lid like it never happened.

I’ve had amazing results with Dr. Colorchip for several scratches and scrapes on my red 90D. Easy to use and makes small repairs almost invisible. Great product for diy fixes.

I had this guy fix my Model S TWICE where the garage door moving down scratched my bumper WAY WORSE, and he was able to fix in about one hour and you can never tell. About $100-200 was all it cost.

https://fixmypaint.com/

Might want to give him a try if able.
Do you know if he used touch up paint? All the body shops i've been to want to repaint the entire panel costing between $700-1500 for a tiny scrape--though it's deep.

I actually got my Tesla touch up paint kit today and gave it a go. Not terribly impressed with this kit. I think I need to add a few more layers. It’s definitely better that it used to be but only maybe 25-35% less noticeable.

I caught a rock on my driver door as well so I had to touch that up. I think my main issue is I’m getting blending solution into the cracks which is removing the paint.

I’ll add a few more coats to both chips this weekend.

Realistically I’m tempted to get the tesmanian spoiler and cover up the chip on the hatch lid like it never happened.
I just saw that on another Y down the street and didn't know what it was. I'm thinking this is a perfect solution :)

Before PPF I had rocks chip the front bumper on pearl white metallic all the way through to the plastic. Then had a cart cause similar damage to yours. I went to my preferred shop and got a similar estimate ($2,300 with insurance or $1,700 private). A reputable shop will remove the bumper and replace all the fasteners, which drives up the labor and materials. I believe the pre-painted bumper from Tesla is $900-$1200. Problem is availability. I found a body shop that would blend the just the damaged area. It was $400 and looked flawless. I did have to take it back for overspray correction, which they happily did. Overspray is a common issue with spot repairs. The pearl can also be problematic to blend.
I am going through the same thing. A huge road debris hit my driver door and stripped the paint all the way through the plastic. My color is Midnight Silver Metallic which is one of the most expensive paint to repair. I asked about 10 body shops and they quoted ~ 1500 for repair. Can you share where you went to get yours done and the process?

I normally go to Autobahn Collision (AW Collision) in Belmont. However, they don’t do scratch repairs. They are pricey. You can try Final Touch in Redwood City. He does good scratch repair before PPF. The owner used to mix touch up paint for Tesla Burlingame before they carried OEM kits. Benz Collision Center was willing to spray and blend a section, which is who I went with. I paid a $350 cash for the repair.

I normally go to Autobahn Collision (AW Collision) in Belmont. However, they don’t do scratch repairs. They are pricey. You can try Final Touch in Redwood City. He does good scratch repair before PPF. The owner used to mix touch up paint for Tesla Burlingame before they carried OEM kits. Benz Collision Center was willing to spray and blend a section, which is who I went with. I paid a $350 cash for the repair.
I called Benz Collision Center and they came down to $475 for my repair after initially quoting over $600. Price seems fair but wanted to know how you liked their work? Is it perfect in your opinion? Thanks.

I called Benz Collision Center and they came down to $475 for my repair after initially quoting over $600. Price seems fair but wanted to know how you liked their work? Is it perfect in your opinion? Thanks.
The match on the Pearl White Metallic was very good. The guy who did mine seemed to be an artist and managed to get the spray direction the same. Honestly, I have more splotches in bright sun from the OEM than the spot he matched. The downside is the finish is much better than OEM in that section. There was also some overspray that my PFF installer griped about having to deal with during paint correction.

@alexhbrock - did you ever get your car repaired? There is a guy who does phenomenal paint work in Jacksonville. I know it is a bit of a drive from where you are but this guy is surprisingly affordable and does amazing work. Typically you'll see some car from a Concours d'Elegance at his shop when they have that show at Amelia Island. Think of the East Coast equivalent of the one in Pebble Beach in California.

One of his clients has 5 Ford GT's and an original GT 40. He brings them all there for any paintwork. The guy is a magician as evidenced by the number of cars that are the Concours that end up at his shop for a touch up when something happens just before the event. I had some work done on another car and he did an amazing job matching the color on basically a candy apple blue. The only problem was the paint he laid down was so much better than the factor that he had to make it worse to blend in.

If anywhere near Jacksonville and need something painted DM me and I'll put you in touch with him. The only downside is he tends to be booked out for quite a bit.