TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Paint repair

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Unpilot, May 17, 2018.

1. Unpilot

Unpilot Active Member

Has anyone tried this product Model S/X/3 Paint Repair Kit

I have the inevitable chips in my paint and wonder how it looks after applying the above product.

2. Unpilot

Unpilot Active Member

I guess Tesla has not sold a ton of that product....at least not to TMC folks

3. myblubu

myblubu Member

It’s new. They previously just had bottles of touch up paint which included a pen and brush, now they are rolling everything into a ‘kit’ which costs about twice as much as the previous touch up paint. I think it’s only been available recently since I have been waiting on the Titanium color touch up paint which has been out of stock for months now. I was on the waiting list and was told I would be notified when it became available and just got this last Friday:

Dear Tesla Customer,

Thank you for your continued patience with the development of the Titanium Metallic (PPTI) Touch-Up Paint. We are pleased to announce that a new Paint Repair Kit has been released and is now available in the online shop. We have included a link below to the product page, for your convenience. Please remember to select your preferred color from the drop-down menu. If you would like to confirm which color will match your vehicle best, please refer to the 4 letter paint code located on the label attached to the driver side door.

Model S/X/3 Paint Repair Kit

This new kit contains all the tools and materials needed to repair paint chips in a single package. An instructional booklet is included with the kit, however, we have also included a short instructional video on the product page should you like to see the Paint Repair Kit in action before application.

• 1 x Instructional booklet
    • 1 x 0.5 oz. bottle of OEM Paint
    • 1 x 1 oz. bottle of Blending Solution
    • 1 x squeegee (used for large application needs)
    • 1 x micro brush
    • 1 x ultra brush
    • 1 x wiping cloth
    • 1 x micro fiber towel

We thank you again for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Online Orders, Vehicle Accessories

6800 Dumbarton Circle, Fremont, CA 94555

[email protected]

shop.tesla.com

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Touchup is only as good as the applicator using it. If you are willing to take the time to buildup the chip, sand and polish it, you can make it almost indistinguishable from an unretouched area.

5. dsnows

dsnows Member

Does anyone know if this will work on a 3 to 4 inch long thin scratch?

6. timvracer

timvracer Member

As has been pointed out in other threads, this appears to be a white label branding of Dr. Colorchip's product, which is a fantastic product that is nothing like ordinary touch up paint. It does not require that tedious process of "building up, sanding, polishing, etc.", you just smudge it on over the chip, let it dry a bit, then gently wipe with the provided solution that takes the paint off the surface around the chip, leaving the product inside the chip hole. Demo of this below.

7. born2run

born2run Member

I have a small chip in my 3 week old S...I know it is inevitable / but I was wondering if anyone has tried the kit. I may give it a shot.

8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

..works great but pricey

• Informative x 1
  9. HeinrichJ729

HeinrichJ729 Member

Do you have before and after photos?

We have two small chips from our recent road trip that I'd like to have fixed. I'm thinking we should have opted for the paint protection film when we took delivery of the car...

10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I have after photos ...but get the PPF:eek:

My chip was on a rear quarter panel I only PPFd the front :(

• Informative x 1
  11. HeinrichJ729

HeinrichJ729 Member

Wish the PPF option was not so expensive... Will reconsider.

For sure, the next car will buy, we will do paint correction + PPF right away.

Do you mind posting your "after" photos?

12. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

8720364B-CEFE-4361-98E6-565D0B101342.jpeg

I used dr color chip ..than hit it with paint correction compound..that area is ceramiced ...so I touched up with hydro silex ...u can’t tell anymore ...last 2steps not really needed though

• Love x 1
  13. Decibelle

Decibelle Member

Too bad Tesla doesn't carry the Multicoat Red. :(

14. HeinrichJ729

HeinrichJ729 Member

Wow that's a pro job! Looks like you've matched the metallic paint perfectly.

If your current job does not work out, you can start a car paint repair business :)

• Love x 1