Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find a thread for this in the AU forum so apologies if it is covered elsewhere.

In reversing into a cramped parking spot dad scraped our P100D as shown in the pics. Visual inspection suggests that as it was a scrape, nothing was bumped per se (internals should be fine). We took the car to one of Tesla's authorised body repair shops - Miranda Auto Body - but was quoted over $6k for a slew of fixes, many of which don't actually seem to be releated to a simple paint repair.

Is this normal? We've never dinged the car in any other circumstance, so it's hard to fathom the full scope of the below-listed repairs is necessary. Has anyone else done a simple paint repair for their Tesla with good quality results? Happy to take some alternative recs (we simply wanted to stay within Tesla's authorised domain of shops).

I've attached the invoice for reference too.

(oh and yes, I'm well aware the car needs a wash :D)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Page 1.PNG
    Page 1.PNG
    186.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Page 2.PNG
    Page 2.PNG
    65.9 KB · Views: 78
I couldn't find a thread for this in the AU forum so apologies if it is covered elsewhere.

In reversing into a cramped parking spot dad scraped our P100D as shown in the pics. Visual inspection suggests that as it was a scrape, nothing was bumped per se (internals should be fine). We took the car to one of Tesla's authorised body repair shops - Miranda Auto Body - but was quoted over $6k for a slew of fixes, many of which don't actually seem to be releated to a simple paint repair.

Is this normal? We've never dinged the car in any other circumstance, so it's hard to fathom the full scope of the below-listed repairs is necessary. Has anyone else done a simple paint repair for their Tesla with good quality results? Happy to take some alternative recs (we simply wanted to stay within Tesla's authorised domain of shops).

I've attached the invoice for reference too.

(oh and yes, I'm well aware the car needs a wash :D)
I'd suggest possibly taking it by a professional detailing house (try Project Detail) and see if they can buff it out, if they can't they'll at least make it look 90% better for, I suspect, no more than a few hundred dollars. And if after that, if you still want to fix the last 90%, take it to any reputable automotive painter, doesn't need to be a tesla certified for something this minor as they don't need to order new parts.

• Informative
Reactions: 100KWH
I'd suggest possibly taking it by a professional detailing house (try Project Detail) and see if they can buff it out, if they can't they'll at least make it look 90% better for, I suspect, no more than a few hundred dollars. And if after that, if you still want to fix the last 90%, take it to any reputable automotive painter, doesn't need to be a tesla certified for something this minor as they don't need to order new parts.

Thanks for that. I'll put Project Detail on the shortlist. Do you have any recs on reputable paint shops? It's not something I've ever looked into before (when your last car was a 2003 Corolla you really didn't pay attention to this sort of thing...)

Thanks for that. I'll put Project Detail on the shortlist. Do you have any recs on reputable paint shops? It's not something I've ever looked into before (when your last car was a 2003 Corolla you really didn't pay attention to this sort of thing...)
Hmm, not something I can help with sorry, haven't had many things painted before, only things like wings and side-skirts that I took off myself and dropped to them with the paint code. TBH, Richard from Project Detail (the owner) can likely recommend someone to spray if it comes to that if he can't buff the damage out.

I had a whole new bumper fitted, not due to damage but because when I had my body wrap removed paint on the bumper peeled off...it was cheaper to get a whole new bumper, have it painted (by Final Finish, authorised Tesla Panel Shop) and the new bumper re-fitted....seriously only cost a little over $1,200 for the lot....that is a seriously ridiculous quote....

I had much worse on the wife’s tesla, a bit further back on the wheel arch. A mobile guy came to our home and fixed it up for $700. I then had my detailer give it a good polish. 2 years later still no evidence of the damage. Different city than you so no point in posting the companies involved.

• Informative
Reactions: 100KWH