Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint safe snow removal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having lived in Colorado for 25 years I've done my share of snow removal from cars - but I've scratched cars before too. I've even scratched windshields.

Any devices you guys keep in your Teslas or other nice cars to remove snow without damaging the car?

A snow brush? or is that a Canadian only thing?

Generally has a brush at one end of a handle, and a plastic ice-scraper for the windshield at the other end... never noticed a scratch on my windshield or paint on any of my vehicles using these for over a decade in Canada.

If you have less than a half inch of snow you don't necessarily even need that much, just pre-warm with the app...

Generally has a brush at one end of a handle, and a plastic ice-scraper for the windshield at the other end... never noticed a scratch on my windshield or paint on any of my vehicles using these for over a decade in Canada.

If you have less than a half inch of snow you don't necessarily even need that much, just pre-warm with the app...

A garage and a snow brush for the car and plastic scraper for the glass works great for me.

Preheating can be wonderful; you just have to remember to do it. Even in very cold temps, turning on the climate control 15-20 minutes ahead of time and setting the temp to 77˚F, 25˚C melts a lot of snow and ice off the windows. Even if there is some left on the windows, it is not attached anymore. Of course, you have to have the excess battery energy to do this, but typically it's only a few rated miles for the pleasure of a warm car and melted windows.

I've managed to scratch the paint of my Nissan LEAF when removing ice and snow. I guess I have to be more gentle, but the OP's question is legitimate. In order to reduce scratching, there are new products that use softer bristles or even a rubber blade. http://www.garant.com/scratch-free-snow-brush/index.php

I sweep the snow off the paint using the back side of my brush; the plastic bristles on most brushes will scratch paint. Horsehair brushes are less damaging. Leave the last bit of snow and any grime on the car and let that melt so you don't scratch the paint, particularly if the car was grimy before the snow.

Last edited:
Usually by the time I get out of the office the snow has frozen enough that it won't blow off. If it is really cold, the snow is loose, and I only clean off the glass and just drive off--the rest of the snow is gone in a few blocks.

Snow brush would be a good option for sweeping off the snow from cars. If the snow is not cleared then you wont be able to drive the car. So it is a very serious problem . If the glasses are not cleared then it might lead to some accidents.Hiring a a snow removal company would be a good option.Infinity Gardens is one such company that has the service of snow removal.