Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well here’s a rant and I’m sure a bunch will give me the “should have PPFed it”…just got the pearl white MS LR a month ago and already have 2 paint chips. I find it unacceptable for paint to be this soft. I drive carefully and every other car I’ve drive has not had rock chips happen to this extent. I am going to ask Tesla to goodwill repair these but frankly it’s our goodwill to keep buying their cars and just accepting crap paint. $90K is a lot for a car and partial PPF looks like crap so we’re talking $6K plus to protect a car due to its crap paint. Oh and those Tesla paint repair cuts suck too. $60 down the drain. If anyone has advice on this issue let me know but it seems like the paint is even worse now. I had a 2019 blue MS for a couple years and had zero rock chips.

Attachments

• 40A2C8D1-21A8-47BB-AD11-39C4657C69BE.jpeg
    40A2C8D1-21A8-47BB-AD11-39C4657C69BE.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 134
  • E89919C1-6033-4B54-A99B-E616ED6B3F14.jpeg
    E89919C1-6033-4B54-A99B-E616ED6B3F14.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 78
I'm in the same boat as you @wally5788 - I just took a road trip and got stuck behind a truck that pelted the front end of my month old white M3. Probably about 6 - 8 small chips. The PPF minimum is $1300 at the local shop that does Teslas all day long. It's a lot to pay and I'd have to own the vehicle for a while to even consider recoping that. My current plan is to do paint repair, probably quarterly, with the Tesla touch kit and some Langka.

I've leased 6 new Volvos in the last 10 years and they all pick up front rock chips at some point. I was really careful with my crystal white 2018 Volvo S90 and it picked up 3 chips in one day. I got their 2 part touch-up kit and it looked good. Just the luck of the draw with chips. PPF isn't worth it to me as well as being a big topic on the Volvo forums as well.

paint is paint and not able to resist rocks
I've not owned any car that was immune to rock chips.
PPF is the only defense
or you could go for one of those awesome 70/80s era black car bra's - they looked cool (sarcasm there)
But the modern version of just doing clear PPF on the front end also works.

I'm going to do a wrap instead and change the color.

Ah *sugar*, that sucks. Doing some quick research on these forums pre-purchase would have given you the proper expectations re: the paint. PPF is pretty much a tax you have to pay with these Teslas if you care about keeping your paint pristine. There's an insane amount of debris that gets kicked up into the flared fenders, which doesn't help the issue.