Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painted Aero covers. White and silver. See them here.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wheels.gif

When I was trying to decide what to do with my aero covers, I desperately wanted to see images from those who had done it. There were precious few at the time, so I thought I'd toss this up there to help others. I bought a second set of covers and painted one set to match the white, and one in metallic silver. Here they are in comparison with the bare wheel (sorry that I don't have a factory gray one to put in the mix.

I found a local pro who does projects on the side. Cost $150 per set. They are REALLY nicely done. Interesting how the slots look smaller on the white ones, right? It is because the white doesn't make the dark shadows.

And now perhaps my new avatar makes sense. :)

View attachment 464425

When I was trying to decide what to do with my aero covers, I desperately wanted to see images from those who had done it. There were precious few at the time, so I thought I'd toss this up there to help others. I bought a second set of covers and painted one set to match the white, and one in metallic silver. Here they are in comparison with the bare wheel (sorry that I don't have a factory gray one to put in the mix.

I found a local pro who does projects on the side. Cost $150 per set. They are REALLY nicely done. Interesting how the slots look smaller on the white ones, right? It is because the white doesn't make the dark shadows.

How bout these???
Tesla Painted splash guards.jpg

View attachment 464425

looks like the old plastic hub caps we had in the 90's

Reactions: HockeyRooster
Very nice. The while looks good.
I know the stock covers are grey, but I’m wondering if anyone has painted their aero covers gloss black ?
On a white car, that may look great also !

Here are mine in a gloss black. I wanted a metallic silver, but the body shop that I paid to do them messed up and they turned out this color. They still look good to me, otherwise I would have had them redo them.

IMG_20181105_150319.jpg IMG_20181106_122634.jpg

Reactions: KenC
Thanks for all the nice comments, gang! I'd hoped to slow down the gif, but it was my first attempt and I somehow failed to increase the delay....

Nice !! Are you going to rotate between the silver and white on a regular basis ?
Ha. To be honest, I currently have the white on one side and the silver on the other! I think I'll mostly run with the silver (more forgiving of dirt/chips) and keep the white for when I'm feeling all fancy and have just polished the car.

Here are mine in a gloss black. I wanted a metallic silver, but the body shop that I paid to do them messed up and they turned out this color. They still look good to me, otherwise I would have had them redo them.]
They DO look great. But how crazy to have the paint guy miss so badly? I've just always been a fan of big contrast between the wheel and tire. To me, a dark wheel just looks like it needs to be cleaned of brake dust. :)

These looks very good and Tesla should offer body-colored aero covers.

I assume if you are going to paint these, you will need to sand them some to get the paint to stick to them!
Yeah, the shiny plastic all needs to be roughed up. And take a tip from me: Don't try to remove the foil metal center caps. Just tape it off for the whole process and thank me later. It is *impossible* to get those caps off cleanly. I tried everything including heat to soften the glue. Well, the plastic covers get soft before the glue does!

OP, nice job on the wheel covers! How will you use them? Winter set and summer set?

And really cool with the triple photo rotation. Well done!
Thanks! the reason I have two colors is because I knew I wanted silver, and ran those for a while.... but sometimes the silvers reflect just right and look almost white. And it looked pretty good, so I had to give white a go. Definitely a different look! I'm not sure I'd want to paint-match like that on a red or blue car, but I know others have done it.

I still want to slow down the photo rotation, but at least it worked. Poor-man's photoshop... doing it for real and taking pictures from a tripod. :)

I've seen a few versions of contrasting the "spokes," and considered doing something similar. There's just something aesthetically odd to me about the hatchet-shape of those spokes. For my taste it is just too angular and truncated. But hey, I'm all about doing what looks good to the individual doing it, so I don't wish to rain on that parade.

Now... other details in that photo. Doesn't the trunk-lid spoiler look larger than stock, and perfectly integrated? Or perhaps I'm just dreaming and it is something about the angle.

Looks like the owner has also color-matched the door handles. Perhaps the chrome trim is covered with something less shiny too? And white mud-flaps. Yeow.

The gloss black ones look decent, but I just can't get down with the body colored versions.
I think the bare rims was the best look in your gif.

I went with the 19s so luckily don't have to worry about this.

The gloss black ones look decent, but I just can't get down with the body colored versions.
I think the bare rims was the best look in your gif.

I went with the 19s so luckily don't have to worry about this.
Hey, I totally get it. And It's great that we don't all like the same things, or everything we owned would look the same and be the same color.

If the bare rims were silver, I think they'd look awesome. I've seen the powder-coated white as well, and to me they are stunning. But no thanks on the cleaning! Or the expense. And in the end, I plan to almost always run the covers for efficiency (and now aesthetics).

The great news in all of this, I can change in an instant to any of those three looks that I show in the GIF, so I wouldn't call this a "worry" that I have. My original worry was being stuck with the un-exciting factory gray plastic.

I even have a special bag to hold my spare set without damage... I'm that cool.

Hey, I totally get it. And It's great that we don't all like the same things, or everything we owned would look the same and be the same color.

If the bare rims were silver, I think they'd look awesome. I've seen the powder-coated white as well, and to me they are stunning. But no thanks on the cleaning! Or the expense. And in the end, I plan to almost always run the covers for efficiency (and now aesthetics).

The great news in all of this, I can change in an instant to any of those three looks that I show in the GIF, so I wouldn't call this a "worry" that I have. My original worry was being stuck with the un-exciting factory gray plastic.

I even have a special bag to hold my spare set without damage... I'm that cool.

Yep. To each their own.

I'm going to call you out on the cleaning though. These cars use the brakes so little that you don't get brake dust buildup.
It's one of my favorite things about the car! My 19" sport wheels are basically always shiny. It's awesome.