Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painted Aero's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
vZ7BgdU.jpg

Car located in Bay area owned by Fremont factory engineer.

Trying to find an option for a silver/aluminum colored Aero cover or wheel with the stock 18".

Don't want to sacrifice the efficiency of the 18" Aeros, really like the look of the silver 19" turbine with white colored car. For my preference, I think the dark colored wheels look "off balanced" in contrast with the white paint.

And that’s saying it nicely. To me it makes the entire wheel look smaller which makes it way less desireable. What I’d like to see is someone removing the cover and wrapping the 18” rim in black or a lighter gray than stock with a black/gray center cap.
If someone gave me their stock 18’s without caps off the car I would plasti dip it for them.

Saw this on Google photos (plati dipped)

Yep, that's what I'll be doing to my hubcaps when I pick mine up. I hate the fact they're dark from the factory. I don't mind the little black slates for the brakes to breath. But the rest of the cap should look aluminum in colour. Can't stand this fad of aluminum wheels coming in dark colours. I hope people realize aluminum by nature is silver looking.
Alas...

Just FYI -- the owner who did this is actually Tesla employee, and he shared a few additional details about this customization on M3OC.

1. He used HWP101 Silver Dupil-color High Performance Wheel Coating (not plasti-dip) to paint the aero wheel covers.

2. As an employee, he was able to obtain a set of silver rims from an RC car (nice perk!), which is why you don't see a gray ring surrounding the painted wheel covers.

Someone posted a photo of their white Model 3 with painted silver aeros, but I can't remember who posted it. I believe the owner had them painted at a body shop in So Cal.

I'll be looking to do something similar near Sunnyvale. Just checking if anyone in the SF Bay Area had their aeros painted silver like this?

White+silver_aero.jpg

Reactions: FoghornLeghorn
I just got my aero covers painted silver. I found a local auto body with a paint booth through a friend, and I'm very happy with their work.

The owner asked me to choose which shade of silver from a shelf full of silver paint cans. I ended up going with his recommendation, which he called "Mercedes" silver.

Attachments

• aeros_in_silver.jpg
    aeros_in_silver.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 349
  • pearl_white_with_silver_aeros.jpg
    pearl_white_with_silver_aeros.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 343