TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Painted brake calipers?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by rick325, Dec 27, 2012.

  1. rick325

    rick325 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    Messages:
    47
    Location:
    texas
    Hi all.

    Was wondering if anybody has painted their brake calipers yet. I'm thinking red (with the silver wheels) or yellow (with the grey wheels).

    Anyone, anyone?
     
  2. Zextraterrestrial

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2010
    Messages:
    3,636
    Location:
    Humboldt/Los Altos
    haha, Mine are painted grey to match the car ;> and my wheels

    what color car are you painting them for?
     
  3. rick325

    rick325 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    Messages:
    47
    Location:
    texas
    Nice :) I wasn't painting them "for" anything, other than I like the look of the red calipers on my soon-to-be-traded 911.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Okay, I misunderstood your question. 70% chance that I'll be painting them for a black car, 20% chance it will be the blue, and 10% chance it will the grey. (Btw, how do I edit a post?).
     
  4. Zextraterrestrial

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2010
    Messages:
    3,636
    Location:
    Humboldt/Los Altos
    sorry, awkward question.
    I always thought the red calipers were neat but I think matching your paint would look sick if you had the black or blue, but the grey brembos are pretty nice with the tesla badging on them as they come from the factory
     
  5. rick325

    rick325 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    Messages:
    47
    Location:
    texas
    It was not an awkward question--I was being dense. I love the look of the deep grey, tesla badged, brembos. They just aren't visible enough, IMO. Or, with silver wheels, do you see them? Now, of the rotors were drilled, then they'd probably "pop" more. Hmmm...
     
  6. GSP

    GSP Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    Messages:
    1,993
    The 19" wheels show off the beautiful brembo calipers much better than the factory 22" wheels. An aftermarket 22" with more space between the spokes would also help.

    GSP
     
  7. Kenne74

    Kenne74 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    Messages:
    85
    Location:
    Arizona
    Has anyone that painted there caliper have a contact for the high temp decal stickers?

    thanks
     
  8. JerryNycom

    JerryNycom Member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2012
    Messages:
    503
    Location:
    New York
  9. Kenne74

    Kenne74 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    Messages:
    85
    Location:
    Arizona
    Thanks Jerry I saw that thread as well but he doesn't seem to visit this forum anymore. I'll keep searching.
     
  10. kevincwelch

    kevincwelch Active Member

    Joined:
    May 13, 2012
    Messages:
    2,015
    Location:
    Chicagoland
    What do people think of this? Photoshop mock up.

    I have to get some rims repaired (curb rash). Wondering if I should do this at the same time.

    caliper.jpg
     
  11. yearofthedragon

    Joined:
    May 2, 2013
    Messages:
    108
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    tsportline-tesla-green-painted-caliper-forged-wheel.jpg
     
  12. tomanik

    tomanik Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2009
    Messages:
    272
    Location:
    Canada
    Looks great yearofthedragon!

    If you don't mind me asking how much does something like this cost, I am assuming this is not a diy project?
     
  13. sickfox

    sickfox Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2013
    Messages:
    386
    Location:
    San Francisco
  14. yearofthedragon

    Joined:
    May 2, 2013
    Messages:
    108
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    i would imagine different shops/bodyshops will charge different pricing. here in los angeles, 150-175 a caliper w/ the Tesla logo.
     
  15. mpbruin108

    mpbruin108 Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2013
    Messages:
    137
    Location:
    Los Angeles, ca
    That looks super cool. I see you are in LA. Would you mind me checking it out in person? I just painted mine red but yours look super cool too.
     
  16. JerryNycom

    JerryNycom Member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2012
    Messages:
    503
    Location:
    New York

    Pics?
     
  17. logan

    logan Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2012
    Messages:
    203
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #17 logan, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    Mine are currently getting painted Ithaca Verde (Lambo Green). Also painting the mirror covers, front lip, and the front/rear "Ts" the same color.

    PAyCSEN.jpg
     
  18. tomanik

    tomanik Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2009
    Messages:
    272
    Location:
    Canada
    Look forward to pictures of the finished product, sounds awesome.
     
  19. JerryNycom

    JerryNycom Member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2012
    Messages:
    503
    Location:
    New York
    Seems that in Europe its now standard with P85's…..Red calipers…..Very hot!
     
  20. wormhole

    wormhole Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Messages:
    427
    Location:
    Westchester, New York
    I am going to have this done in the Spring by my guy hear in Westchester...only question is Red vs color matching car...
     

Share This Page