TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Painting Brake Calipers in the SF Bay Area

Discussion in 'California' started by GasDoc, Nov 15, 2013.

1. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Has anyone had their calipers painted in the Bay Area?

Topline Auto in Burlingame quoted me $500 and said they would need the car for 2-3 days.

Sounds Reasonable.

2. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

If you find someone good, please refer. Thanks.

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

+1

I made the mistake of seeing a couple cars with the red calipers at the factory this weekend.

4. lloyds

lloyds Member

Me too. So my 2nd one will have them. :)

5. LittoDevil

LittoDevil Member

I own two shops, mechanic (Carolan Auto Tech) and auto body shop (United Auto Collision Center) back to back a block away from the Tesla showroom in Burlingame. We actually do some of the outsource body work for Zim, the owner of Top Line on California :).

My fully loaded P85+ is scheduled to be picked up on Dec 23rd!!! Exciting!! I plan to repaint the entire car as well as the calipers, if you decide to want your calipers painted or anything else worked on let me know! A new soon to be Tesla owner and would love to take care of my fellow Tesla owners :)...

Larry

6. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

7. LittoDevil

LittoDevil Member

That is definitely another option, however.. you get what you pay for. The paint sold at the auto store is typically a enamel based paint and it's not the two stage paint we used in the shops. Your color choices are limited by what you can buy from the spray can form and you wont have the luster clear coat finish like the automotive finish on your car. Doing it yourself is definitely cheaper and you can use the same water base urethane paint if you have the proper equipment and booth to spray it in so.. over all it can be less expensive than paying someone but more expensive in terms of paint material.

To do the job properly the caliper also has to be taken off the car including the brake hose which to any mechanic isn't a big deal. For some DIYers they may not want to tackle that as they will also have to bleed the brake system afterwards to ensure all air bubbles are out of the brake lines.

Of course there will be some who will paint the calipers with it on the car lol.. but I don't see anyone owning a Tesla Model S doing that heh.

Larry

8. Laurent

Laurent Member

I'm taking my car to California Wheels in Campbell to have the brake calipers painted red. Will report next week.

9. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

Thanks for the recommendation, but I will pass on a DIY for my P85+.

10. lloyds

lloyds Member

Try Cavalinos: http://www.cavallinos.com/ (no affiliation, just happy with their work and service). I haven't used them for brakes, but their recent work on my sister's car was pretty good and they were on time!

11. jonnaro

jonnaro Member

Does anyone have photos of calipers painted in colors other than red? I'm tentatively thinking of a lime green color.

12. Laurent

Laurent Member

I would definitely recommend talking to Tommy at California Wheels in Campbell. They painted my brake calipers red and they look great. I had to leave the car there overnight. Cost was $300.

Brakes1.jpg Brakes2.jpg Brakes3.jpg Brakes4.jpg

13. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

14. dennis

dennis P85D

Was he unable to get the Tesla decal and went with the Brembo one or did you choose that one deliberately?

15. Laurent

Laurent Member

I didn't ask but I don't think he has the Tesla decals. I prefer the Brembo decals anyway so I went with that.

16. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

uh no offense, but those don't look like painted calipers to me. Those look like the those cheap knock off brembo calipers that anyone could buy off ebay or amazon for $15. I could be wrong but they really do look like those cheap things. Even if they are painted, I'd rather have 'Tesla' decal on it than 'brembo'.

17. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Might want to check out the G2 system. It's a two-part epoxy paint you brush on. You can remove the calipers or not - up to you. They have a dozen or so colors, and can also do a color match (although there might be a minimum order required).

18. MajesticSound

MajesticSound Up is LOUDER

G2 system is great, but buy your own brush (theirs sucks) just get everything ready before you mix the reactor, you have 4 hours to work with it and I used it all. I masked it off and was real careful not to screw up or drip. First coat is a bitch, second goes on like glass and then just a little touch up if you missed something. I got my hi temp logos from Custom Brake Caliper Decals Stickers High Temp Vinyl Contact US for Your Needs | eBay He has the sizes and they are great.

After 24 hours it's rock hard.
    before logos.JPG
    It came out great, I love it. 1st pic is before logos
    Finished Caliper.JPG Joules 2.JPG

19. The Froq

The Froq Member

20. MajesticSound

MajesticSound Up is LOUDER

That last picture of mine wasn't complete, here she is with the center caps and black lug covers Joules.JPG