Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painting Lines on Ground for Backing Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife has trouble backing up in our driveway. Because the view out the rear window is limited (can't see landmarks near the ground), we've worked together on using the backup video exclusively. For example, she has the two guide lines go exactly between two reflectors that I've set up, and when the tip hits a third reflector, she starts the turn.

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 3.45.25 PM.jpg

Also, I like to back the car into the garage even though it's a little tight.

I was thinking that I could paint or tape some lines onto the cement that could be lined up with the lines in the backup video display. That could make things very easy.

Anyone do anything like that?

When parking my old ice car on my side of the garage, it is a tight fit and I have a black stripe that I applied to my wall mounted tool box. I Center that with my rear view mirror when backing in and found it helpful.

Interesting idea. I have no less than six balls hanging from strings that let me line things up. The truck has to be backed in so that I can lower a kayak into it. When the cars are just right, there's only an inch to spare when opening the doors.

You can barely see on ball in the above photo (straight up from the right side of the M3). If I touched that with the sideview of the Leaf, I know I'd clear the edge of the garage on the other side.

Has she tried turning off the auto-lower-mirrors "feature"? I had a terrible time backing up when I first got my model 3 because of that - visibility is, as you've noted, poor out the rear windshield and when the mirrors lower I can't really see back through them very well, either. I turned off auto-lowering and it's much easier for me.

It took me a while to learn where the car was with respect to the guidelines. I found I was off-center a bit in a parking space, even though I was perfectly centered according to the guidelines....

I also found it easier backing up in tight spaces after I installed after market convex mirrors from SUMA Performance...

Reactions: spazzwig
3 months into my m3 ownership and I'm still having trouble knowing where the end of the car is, when I back up.

the very wide angle (distorted) rear camera is less than useless, to me. others seem to be able to use it, but its unreal view of the world just throws me.

I like to fly quadcopters and so far, I only do line-of-sight; a friend does FPV (camera and goggles thing) and I just can't deal with that wide-angle distortion. same issue. can't FPV and can't use the rear back-up camera ;)

the very poor rear window vision is the one singular thing I truly *hate* about this car. I'll get the hang of the rearview camera, someday, but its not at all natural.

to be honest, I'm one of the 'slow ones' at the superchargers, as I take more time than I should going into and out of the stalls. even those seem kind of tight, when I have to angle the car into. and I know I'm not the only one, I see lots of people having trouble knowing where the model 3 car edges are.

I back up in to parking spots almost exclusively for the last 10 years. Pretty much when cameras became common in cars.

It started when I became a fire fighter and had to learn to exclusively back up a 30 ton fire engine w only side mirrors and a camera.

I check my sides with mirror and then just use the camera. I think switching to swiveling ur head around to look rearward out the back, then into the mirror then look at ur camera totally confuses one’s brain. Pick one rear view method and stick w it. The camera and screen on the Tesla are amazing. I only wish the line stripes were a color other than white.

I’ve considered installing gaffe tape in my garage to use auto park... I’ve been using caution cones which double as fantastic receptacles for Tesla charger cords.

what I’d really love to see though is birds eye view as the RV camera is naturally poorly aligned and actually varies slightly on both our model 3’s (Height difference notwithstanding)

Why not go to a parking lot and set up some cones and practise using just the rear camera and white lines on the screen. It does take practise which will give you trust with just relying on the rear camera and white lines on the screen. You could cover the mirrors while practising reversing.

Personally I think the way Tesla does the rear view camera with the curving lines is the ideal way to show how you are doing. It doesn't take much practice to get used to them at all. At least it works very well for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
the very wide angle (distorted) rear camera is less than useless, to me. others seem to be able to use it, but its unreal view of the world just throws me.

When I first got my Model 3 Performance in December 2018, the rear view camera image was not distorted as it is today. The image went down to the area of the defroster, temp icons. It changed after the update which moved the apps from the "cards" area to just above the climate, heaters, defroster area. I can't remember the exact update version, but there was several threads about the new distorted image.....

Here's what I did yesterday:

1. I put a nice and soft garbage can in the middle of the driveway and backed into it slowly to find out exactly when the bumper will hit something, based on the rearview camera.

2.I did the same thing for going by it closely.

3. I had my wife practice and execute ten successful backups and turns in a row. She got much better. What worked best: Use the backup camera until it's time to make the turn, then look out the rear-seat passenger window while making the turn.

I recommend steps 1 and 2.

Today I'm going to put down tape so that when I back into the garage, I can get it exactly right. I'm working out a way to figure out exactly where the tape goes. I can't very well have it in reverse while my wife marks where to put the tape (too dangerous). My plan is to

1. Put a line of rags on the floor of the garage (perpendicular to the line of travel of the car)
  2. Put the M3 exactly where it should be when entering the garage
  3. Note in the camera which rag is in the right place (A)
  4. Put some tape there
  5. Repeat for the final position in the garage (B)
  6. Put tape from A to B
I agree that backing up is a skill, and one can get very good at it.

Reactions: house9
the very poor rear window vision is the one singular thing I truly *hate* about this car. I'll get the hang of the rearview camera, someday, but its not at all natural.
When we got our 3 a year and a half ago, I was unsettled backing up since the visibility out the rear is so limited. I’d never had a car with a backup camera before. I sort of didn’t trust it—it felt indirect or something, like if I wasn’t seeing it with my own eyes, it wasn’t real. Silly, I know.

Now I’m very comfy with the rear camera, and have gotten quite skilled (if I say so myself) at moving the car backwards while looking forward at the screen.

PSA: One can be overconfident in this area. The field of view of the rear camera is only what it is. For example, backing from a driveway into a street, you will not see traffic in the street until it’s too late. Be sure to do good old shoulder checks.

Reactions: house9
This works on cement. It’s just white duct tape, over a year old. When the white backup tape is just visible on the backup camera, I’m about 12 inches from the sawhorses.

I think the backup lines on the display are where the tires go so I leave some room on the edges when backing up.

I am hoping the white lines will allow the car to park itself centered between the lines....

52794C04-4329-4B4C-9060-4EDDEBC0856F.jpeg

09449263-C7D8-4811-9F46-F0EAADC8E2F0.jpeg

Last edited:
PSA: One can be overconfident in this area. The field of view of the rear camera is only what it is. For example, backing from a driveway into a street, you will not see traffic in the street until it’s too late. Be sure to do good old shoulder checks.

This would be common sense as well backing over a footpath or cycleway.
The field of view of the side & rear mirrors is only what it is.
I try and not to back if possible by parking in areas I don't have too. I will walk the extra distance to do this plus to protect my 3 from damage.