Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painting Mismatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got MS with Titanium Metallic paint, and had some visible scratch on the rear fender. I purchased the touch-up paint from Tesla (PPTI), but it does not match the color after application. Went to a Tesla approved autobody shop, and they want $2k to repair, claimed they have to take out the fender and reprogram the car through Tesla. 1. Anyone had luck in matching this color? 2. Does going specifically to Tesla approved autobody shops necessary? Thanks for your insights.

Attachments

• Fender 20200903_153919.jpg
    Fender 20200903_153919.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 93
If it's not too deep (not a gouge) and touch up might fill the bill, try drcolorchip. I've used their stuff on Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche and Lexus, in one case white pearl, and if it does not match up, they will remix. No affiliation, just satisfied for small chips.

Got MS with Titanium Metallic paint, and had some visible scratch on the rear fender. I purchased the touch-up paint from Tesla (PPTI), but it does not match the color after application. Went to a Tesla approved autobody shop, and they want $2k to repair, claimed they have to take out the fender and reprogram the car through Tesla. 1. Anyone had luck in matching this color? 2. Does going specifically to Tesla approved autobody shops necessary? Thanks for your insights.

First, we'll assume you purchased your MS second-hand?

If you're trying to keep the cost as low as possible, I recommend you find a local paint touch-up firm for a lower cost. They often do work for the used car sales department of local dealerships--pay them a visit and ask who they recommend, or use Yelp.com.

I do not understand why anyone would recommend "take out the fender and reprogram the car through Tesla." This makes no sense; perhaps you misunderstood?

Color can be matched by any competent body shop; I would get a few other opinions from other Tesla-approved shops, and be sure to advise if this is, or is NOT, an insurance covered repair.

Best of luck.