Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painting Model S Fender

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have an MS with Titanium Metallic paint. Got a fender scratch, and used the touch-up paint from Tesla, but it did not match and created a bad stretch on the car. Q1, has anyone used this touch-up paint successfully to match the car' original paint? Q2. I visited a Tesla recommended paint shop, but they want $2k to do the job (claiming they will need to disconnect the system/require Tesla to reconnect), while a regular shop wants 600$, Anyone used a normal paint shop to paint their Tesla?

Attachments

• Fender 20200903_153919.jpg
    Fender 20200903_153919.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 86
I’ve taken fenders off myself. It really is like most modern cars.

Don’t fall for the $2k story. $600 is plenty for a quality job but paint matching is an art. Make sure they have a good reputation and not just cheap.

Touch up paint, no matter how close the color is, will always look different because of the depth and lack of clear coat. It works well on small chips but not sections. Unless you clean up the section and fill with filler before touching up, it'll never look good.

And as the above poster stated, it's like most other modern cars. At the end of the day, it still is a car that needs bolts, nuts, clips, plastic, etc. to put together. Most shops can do it as it doesn't look like any disassembly is required. They'll just sand it, fill with filler and glaze, sand it again, prime it and then paint. They'll probably have to blend the door and bumper but that's it.

Reactions: Akikiki
Looks like a rear quarter panel not a fender? If so not removable. Most good shops also spray the next panel to blend paint so it ensures a match. At least in my experience, especially if car has been in use for a while.