Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painting (or Wrap?) bottom trim of MS to match body color?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Have a catalina white 2014 MS, thinking to paint (or wrap??) bottom grey plastic trim to match body color (like the newer MS's). Anyone done this and any advice - pro's con's? Am in LA in case there any recommended paint shops.

Much appreciated!

Hi,

Have a catalina white 2014 MS, thinking to paint (or wrap??) bottom grey plastic trim to match body color (like the newer MS's). Anyone done this and any advice - pro's con's? Am in LA in case there any recommended paint shops.

Much appreciated!

I've been told by the guy that did both my wraps that the texture on the older grey rocker panels isn't conducive to wrap; it won't stick very well. I'd say painting is probably the way to go on this particular piece. Be curious to know if others have wrapped it and had success.

I've been told by the guy that did both my wraps that the texture on the older grey rocker panels isn't conducive to wrap; it won't stick very well. I'd say painting is probably the way to go on this particular piece. Be curious to know if others have wrapped it and had success.

Tried it. Wrap would not adhere. I’d paint it. Almost did that, but then traded for refreshed new S.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
interesting - anyone plasti-dip in catalina white before? Is it pretty durable or will it peel off pretty quick given the piece are probably exposed to a decent amount of wear and tear?
I have never specifically used that color, but the matte black that I have used is extremely durable. It's on my wheels and only comes off when my wife hits a curb :mad:. Otherwise, it seems to be semi-permanent (as in, I have to physically choose to take it off rather then it randomly peeling).

There are a ton of youtube videos demonstrating how to apply it. It's pretty easy, although there does seem to be a slight technique to it. Just remember to prep the area to protect the rest of the car surface (I use plastic trash bags and painters tape). Best part about it . . . .if you mess up, just peel it off and start again.

Does anyone have any updates on painting their rocker mouldings and/or lower rear bumper?

I just purchased a new TSportline front bumper to replace my nose cone front end. I'm considering getting my rocker mouldings and/or lower rear bumper colour matched, much like the newer Model S design.

I found these rocker moulding removal videos:

Both really help with the rocker moulding, but I haven't found anything for the lower rear bumper.
Any updates/advice would be amazing. Thanks!