Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painting rims advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Long Range Model 3 should arrive by May and my plan is to paint the rims black. I’ve had the rims painted on two other cars (Toyota and Honda) but I’m worried that there may be some “gotchas” with having someone paint the Tesla rims…just because it’s a Tesla and a completely new and different kind of vehicle.

Does anyone have any advice for or against having the rims painted? Any pitfalls to look for? Does Tesla have to recalibrate the wheels or anything else?

Does anyone have any recommendations for providers in the Houston area that can do a great job?

Thank you!

Thank for the replies.

I was thinking powder coat instead of paint as well. I’ve never had anything powder coated so I don’t know much about it.

I’m just not too excited about leaving my brand new Tesla with a tire shop right now!

Powder coating is certainly a better long-term solution, but even good paint (which won’t chip during normal use) might cost dozens of dollars with good paint can still be undone with a sandblaster. Therefore, it is a good method for seeing if you like a color (Glock vs matte black…bronze..gunmetal…etc) before spending hundreds on powder coating.

Reactions: JetDriver05